Team Integra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
juce on Aug/15/07 said:
Im suprised no one has asked this: Does it look like you could put the gsr style synchro in a ls tranny?

Yes, if you use the whole gearset. The secondary shafts look identical but they have different honda part numbers. I cant tell the difference.

The mainshafts ARE identical.

*edit*
The difference in secondary shafts is the angle of the teeth on the inbuilt final drive gear. You MUST MATCH the secondary shaft to the final drive in the case.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
any updates? and if possible can you sell me your old lines? need them for a car i'm fixing up? hopefully by the beginning of sept you have your swap in?

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
I believe the shift fork base diameters are slightly different between the GSR and the LS. I know this because a while back, i tried to swap a GSR main and countershaft into my LS case. Everything lined up except that the shift forks would not go in their corresponding holes in the case.

All in all, i think this is a great thread. I think this and that other one about rebuilding ITR trannies could be common topic'd.

I, too, am interested in the carbon synchros. What's the big ruckus about them over stock, other than the friction properties??

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
TurboLS on Aug/24/07 said:
I, too, am interested in the carbon synchros. What's the big ruckus about them over stock, other than the friction properties??

nothing, other than the friction properties. They are better at doing their jobs at high rpms.

I actually think gear-speed just coats OEM synchros. Its only the inner braking surface and only offered in 3-5 gears.

Quote: TurboLS on Aug/24/07 I believe the shift fork base diameters are slightly different between the GSR and the LS. I know this because a while back, i tried to swap a GSR main and countershaft into my LS case. Everything lined up except that the shift forks would not go in their corresponding holes in the case.
I will get a caliper and measure. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
TurboLS on Aug/24/07 said:
yeah, i should say that that particular case had other issues too, so it could have been a fluke.

but yeah, keep an eye on which shift fork sets you use.
well, the GSR ones of course.

The only thing LS going into the gsr trans is the 5th/reverse gears and synchro sleeve.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Carbon Coated Synchros!

Just got the synchros in today. I bought the 3-5 set from www.gear-speed.com for $160 shipped.

Here are the pics!

3th and 4th are the same synchro. Here's a comparison with the stock one.

Here's the smaller 5th synchro:

They are different in a couple of ways. First off, the carbon coating (duh) but the new ones have fewer teeth on them:

Here's the 5th gear synchro. The new one is stacked upside down opposing the old one like the above photo. You can see the missing teeth by looking at the shine of the bottoms of the old ones.

I wonder if this is to make them more compatable with other transmissions.

Also, the carbon coating on the 5th gear is different, its blacker and will leave black residue on your hand. The 3rd and 4th are gray and dont leave residue.

I'm gonna call gearspeed and ask questions about that. Its almost like the 5th gear one is OEM. Its better looking and has a number on the side where the other two look aftermarket cast.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well I just got off the phone with gearspeed. They were pleasant to talk to and patiently answered all my questions.

Missing teeth?
They follow honda's latest synchro design, that explains the different teeth configuration. The 3rd and 4th gear actually don't have less teeth, they are just in different places. I didn't catch that when examining them last night. The new 5th gear is missing 6 teeth from the old honda design.

Do they make them?
They have all of their synchros manufactured for them. The guy I spoke to said that it costs them around $10,000 to have the tooling setup to manufacture each unique synchro.

Could you coat stock ones?
They also pointed out that it would be impossible to carbon coat a stock synchro. Apparently the carbon coating is fairly thick and it would totally screw up the tolerances if you were to have it done to a stock honda synchro.

Whats with the different color carbon on the 5th gear?
The different colors of carbon coating are different levels of aggressiveness, that explains why 5th gear has softer carbon.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
interesting indeed. i never knew honda made a new 5th gear design. so is this the same design for the k-series tranny or just the b-series? would there be a benefit from this design?

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
TurboLS on Aug/28/07 said:
Nice pics man!! And yeah, i'd be curious to see what gearspeed's response is regarding the reduced number of teeth on those synchros...
for sure. awesome write up casey, just gets better and better

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
UPDATE 9-2-07

5-speed is in, linkage and clutch lines are not yet.

We're going to finish up today and pics will be posted

Setbacks:
Dickhead sold me another auto rear t-bracket, so I had to pick up another one
Drivers axle had torn cv boot
Passenger axle had weird deformed metal after the splines (where it should be smooth was looked like bad orange peel).

So had to pick up new axles and a different T-bracket.

41 - 60 of 304 Posts
About this Discussion
303 Replies
88 Participants
macura2001
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing