Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my clutch master cylinder and I mananged to spill brake fluid on my paint several times... I spilled it all over in the engine bay multiple times and I dripped a little on the fender too, but those are nothing... I spilled it all over my passenger's side door jamb! I narrowly missed getting it all over my interior as well. I cleaned every spot that I spilled on and there doesn't seem to be any problem yet. Is everything going to be ok? Is there anything I need to do? Or am I screwed?

And yes, I am very accident prone... you should see the mess I made on the ground! (I had 3 very large spills on the ground as well.) My clutch master cylinder replacement kind of turned into a comedy.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
You are pretty screwed. We used to pour brake fluid and carb cleaner on cars to burn the paint off. If you just dumped that much brake fluid on your car then you are in trouble. I don't even know where to begin telling you how to get it off. Mix up about 16 ounces of Vinegar in a bucket of water with Dawn dishwashing detergent. That is about the strongest cleaner that is safe on your paint that you are going to be able to mix up. If there isn't any damage showing yet then you may be alright. Brake fluid and car paint just don't work well together though. I've seen it do some serious damage to paint.

If you can get your teg in the shade and check out the spill areas from all angles and not see a problem then you may have escaped disaster. I don't know how long it has to sit on your car for it to do its work, but I've seen it burn paint down past the primer before. Nasty stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts