Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about ten minutes before this post, I found a way to open the butterflies for the Gsr intake manifold manually. Since I have a 98 Integra GSR using a OBD1 p28 ecu, there is no way I could utilize the vtec properly. So after reading a bunch of threads and going through the helms manual, I came up with an idea. I was observing the IAB diaphram and notice the spring actuator. I thought, "how could I keep the actuator in the up position." So I search around in the garage and find a piece of flat aluminum. 1"x2" and bend it at a 90 degree angle. the on one side of the aluminum piece, drilled a hole equal diameter to the bolt that holds the AC hose braket. That is where I use the mount location to hold the alumium piece to keep the diaphram lever in the up position. therefore keeping the GSR secondary butterflies open manually at all times. now I dont need to spend $150+ for a new single stage manifold. Im sure there are different ways to open the secondaries but this is what I came up with. I will try to get pictures and post them as soon as I get a hold of a camera to clarify the method I used.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
There's no need to "pin" them open, as they will flip open automatically once you disconnect the vacuum line from the IAB diaphragm. The vacuum system holds them CLOSED, it does not pull them open.

Secondly, you can't say "I don't need the single stage manifold"...that's an entirely different piece that flows differently with a different powerband location.

A pinned GS-R manifold is not even CLOSE to a single-stage manifold.

Have you looked at any of our IM tech articles or powerband articles?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm... thats true, just that my tuner recomended getting another single stage manifold and larger diameter exhaust to better aid with flow. So Im really just thinking of a way to flow air better without spending and using what I already have. I will have to eventually switch the gsr manifold out entirely, but for now this seems to do the job. "utilize single stage vtec"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheGSRGuy on Oct/04/07 said:
Just noticed something -- what do you mean when you say you have a P28 so you "can't utilize VTEC properly"? The IAB control is not managed by the VTEC subroutines in the ECU.
the p28 I have is not able to activate or open the gsr secondaries in the gsr intake manifold. With the secondaries not activating, the air flow was restricted at about around 5000 rpm. There a noticable drop in power,25 hp, at that range. So from there I just thought about pinning the butterflies open to counteract the drop at 5000. I will reDyno once I get a chance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no need to "pin" them open, as they will flip open automatically once you disconnect the vacuum line from the IAB diaphragm. The vacuum system holds them CLOSED, it does not pull them open.

Secondly, you can't say "I don't need the single stage manifold"...that's an entirely different piece that flows differently with a different powerband location.

A pinned GS-R manifold is not even CLOSE to a single-stage manifold.

Have you looked at any of our IM tech articles or powerband articles?
disconnect the vacuum hose from the IAB diaphram? is there a picture or illustration that would help point out specifically which hose it is? that would help a great deal. thanks

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
on top of the manifold is a saucer-shaped item about 1.5" in diameter. It's a bronzish-brown color. You'll see a tiny rubber vacuum hose going into it.

Yank the vacuum hose, and bingo -- secondaries are now stuck open.

Honestly you need to either go back to a GS-R ECU, or swap a single-stage manifold on. A pinned GS-R manifold is a huge performance hit. You're dumping too much air in at low RPM, but still not getting enough at high RPM...lose-lose scenario.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmmm. ive tried the "saucer" unplug. I unpluged it and nothing happen. The spring and the actuator lever stays in the same position after I turn on the car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had previously tried unplugging the vacuum line from the diaphram and it didnt work. So that's why I came up with the "pin in position" method. its serves its purpose I guess.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's probably something screwy with the diaphragm then...might have seized up, or the vacuum plumbing isn't working correctly.
no no.... The vacuum works fine.... when I had the stock gsr obd2 ecu in, the secondaries opened when it shouldve. and yeah it seems that the hose on top of the "saucer" shaped thing isnt the hose to unplugg... so it would be great if you can get some pictures of to which hose to unplugg to activate the secondaries. also....have you tried it yourself? the spring forces the secondaries shut just like a throttle body butterfly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.