Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Integra LS 4Dr Automatic...

I got bored today, and decided to try the 1, 2, and DR3 gears on my shifter...

I started on 1, and went to about 6000 RPM, and pushed it up to 2, in which it changed to second gear...

So then I was in 2nd and pushed it up to DR3, and it switched to 3rd....

My question is... Will this damage my car / Transmission / Engine by shifting like this? I like the feel of controlling my shifting, but I also dont want to harm my car in any way...

I'm too poor to do a Auto to Manual conversion, nor do I have the money to afford a Manual car ATM...

·
Registered
218 Posts
i think the autos are electronicly controlled, right? I've always heard that the electronic transmissions when shifted "manually" cause the computer to become confused while in between gears and therefor not send enough fluid--cuasing heat and damage and other bad things

i could be wrong though this is just advance auto parts hearsay

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is a relatively frequently debated topic.

As long as your transmission is well-maintained, the short answer is that no, you probably will not do any damage to your car by shifting it manually, even though it is an automatic. However, you should be careful about letting your car get to extremely high RPMs before shifting it to 2nd (or any gear for that matter) as it will obviously experience higher temperatures and pressure at higher RPMs.

Generally speaking, unless you have a very finely turned engine, shifting your automatic engine manually won't do you much good anyway. Automatic transmissions are fairly well designed now, and generally are designed to perform optimally on average.

Also, I can't comment on the validity of this statement, but I have seen/heard many people argue against manually shifting down on an automatic transmission. I've heard the "up is ok, down is not" mantra more than a few times, but I can't tell you why it's true (if in fact it's true at all).

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
OOOPPPSSS I have one of those Razo quick shift knobs for a little easier motion in doing such, but I usually just downshift to D3 when I need to pass in traffic. Works really well with the ls/vtec. With vtec set at 4200rpm it comes in pretty quick all the way to redline. But you should only downshift to D3 no 2 or 1 that might be a little drastic. Maybe try to bring the speed down before you try to downshift into 2 or even 1 look at your manual and see the speeds for each gear. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've shifted my auto a few times. I have also thrown a "check engine light" because of it. It was as simple as a reset of the ECU to fix. So I obviously confused the computer control of the tranny to throw the light on. I generally now just leave it in D4. I'll only leave it in D3 when I'm in stop and go traffic like the owners manual says to do.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I only use this when cornering to prevent unwanted shifting, such as if you leave it in D3 going into a turn at 40mph when you start to accelerate at the apex it will downshift to second and give a hesitation. Instead I'll drop it into second going into the turn so when I start to accelerate it will have no hesitation.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
chrgd_ls_vtec on Feb/27/04 said:
OOOPPPSSS I have one of those Razo quick shift knobs for a little easier motion in doing such, but I usually just downshift to D3 when I need to pass in traffic. Works really well with the ls/vtec. With vtec set at 4200rpm it comes in pretty quick all the way to redline. But you should only downshift to D3 no 2 or 1 that might be a little drastic. Maybe try to bring the speed down before you try to downshift into 2 or even 1 look at your manual and see the speeds for each gear. Good luck and be safe.
The auto tranny will automatically down shift one or two gears when you step on it in D4.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Leaving it in D3 turns off overdrive. The tranny will shift more for power in this mode to make the most of the 3 gears. D3 is best for hilly areas...having the tranny going between gears constantly on the uphill isn't good for wear and tear.

I don't believe the ECU will allow you to damage the tranny though. What I mean by that is it won't let you throw it into 2nd gear at 100mph.

In all honesty, 'manually shifting' the automatic might seem cool, but it's pretty much a waste of time. Like I said, it's not any faster. Need to pass someone? Push the gas pedal in further, the ECU will downshift as needed.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I did that in a rental car once...all they had were a/t neons....I was ragging it out pretty bad though...wouldn't ever do it to a car I owned though, the neon didn't seem too happy when I was done w/it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, i guess it's one of those things that looks cool for the first few weeks...

I like how it doesn't shift to second at 3500, instead I can prolong it to 6-7k, and once I push it to second, I get a "jolt" of power... hehe...

I wanted a manual to begin with... but I really didn't have a choice. I'm glad my parents didn't buy me a neon or whatnot...

What I wanna do is, when I turn 18, switch the title over, and sell it and get a manual :)[ 80% chance of getting another teg ]

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
sabotage on Feb/27/04 said:
I did that in a rental car once...all they had were a/t neons....I was ragging it out pretty bad though...wouldn't ever do it to a car I owned though, the neon didn't seem too happy when I was done w/it.
LMAO

Abuse the domestics!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.