Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the main differences between a manifold and a equal lenght manifold, does one make the turbo spool quicker, look better , hold torque better, i know what they look like but what are the power differneces??
I plan on running just a t3 with 7-9lbs of boost and all the goodies for daily driving, i know the manifold will be good enough but is there any advantage to the e.l.m. ??

·
Registered
693 Posts
"Equal-Length" gives you less chance of "Boost Creep" than say non-equal length...With ports matched and using the EXTERNAL wastegate which is usually designed to be centered and and NOT on runner 1. This is just a more efficent design and creates much better flow to the turbine. These are also lighter being Stainless Steel as opposed to Iron and "Hi-Ductile" Iron designs.

It also has to do with what kind of wastegate you use...The Delgates that come standard with most kits, tends to fail and cause boost creep...Although their Race-gate is an excellent design. I would always recomend the Tial line of wastegate products.

However...having an INTERNAL wastegate...of course your SMOG legal. BUT.....

As greater exhaust is put out...The internal wastegate actuators begin to lose their effectiveness because the amount of exhaust flow to be bypassed is now beyond their intended operating range. Because of more exhaust flow being greater than the valves capacity to discharge... So more exhaust flow is directed to the turbine and additional boost is created, which is called "Boost Creep". "Outlawed Boost" can now happen due to the volume of exhaust energy now being created. This is BAD...Nothing like :

"Whoa I set my MAX psi to 7 and all of a sudden I am hitting 10" ! This is Outlawed Boost Creep !!! <--This

Can be controlled by an excellent Boost Controller such as the Blitz SBC-DC or the Apex-i AVC-R ! These units have what's called "Pass and Hold" – This is a safety function that allows the operator to set the amount of boost decrease in the event of any over boost. Warning is in both visual and audible.

So they each have their +'s and -'s (equal and non equal length manifolds) another way to look it would be...The manifold and wastegate work hand in hand ! Manifold pushes the exhaust gases...Wastegate controls them or how much gets to the turbine.

Equal Length with a good Tial .35mm (or even bigger for you REAL DRAGERS) wastegate is the ultimate "Race" setup ! For you Internal guys...Going with the Non-Equal length and internal wastegate is quite ok...Just not my personal opinion for the best setup suggestion. But it works and your legal for those states with strict SMOG laws !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts