Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is need to make your own Polyurathne mixtures. Is there a write up or description on what to buy from Home Depot... or Lowes? I was planing to fill in my mounts with a mixture of some form of filling. Most likely polyurathane.

-Mike-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,935 Posts
Why bother? You can buy all the ones you need for cheap.

In my opinion it's a waste of time. Is there some reason you want to do this on your own?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,935 Posts
The other problem you may have is most of the bushings arn't flush with the spot they go into. They stick out some. So you will need a template or mold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,935 Posts
Sorry to rip your thead apart but it seems a waste to me.
You simply want to see if it can be done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
You can fill them with high temp. silicone. I did this long ago on my CRX before any parts were available. I used a tube of black high temp. fireplace silicone caulk and then put the mounts in the oven on the lowest setting for around a day to cure them. It worked, but they turned out to be too stiff for me ... much vibration at idle. Since I took them out so soon, I can't comment on durability, although I am pretty sure they would be rather durable. With the inserts, you can take them out if you are not happy. once the mounts are modified the home made way, you will have to buy new mounts if you are unhappy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the kinda info I needed... but I do remember seeign a write up on this a while back. But it was done correctly... well correctly done and thought out smartly by "amatures". Plus I have freinds that done it... turned out pretty well. Just a thought.... sorry if I seemed like a dick...

-Mike-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,532 Posts
No worries, you didn't seem like a dick.

I have seen several different "tubes" of choice used, seems like silicon window caulk is the most common. They seem to turn out pretty well, and effective, all for cheaper than an insert set.

With the price of inserts so low, it makes this almost not worth it particularly due to the downtime involved. Of course if you have another car, this is no problem, but otherwise you have to wait at least a day to make sure they are completely cured.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.... but I am not getting a write up like what I was looking for... if anyone has more comments thats cool... yeah and you are right about motor mount inserts being SO CHEAP...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,804 Posts
HOLD UP!!!!!
First off do not use polyurethane caulking. I did this and screwed up royally!!!!
In the attempt to write a DIY article, I mistakenly used Polyurethane designed for concrete (the gray stuff) thinking it would get hard. It never hardened...

Which only makes sense, since the caulking is designed to stay somewhat soft, to accomodate expansion and shrinking due to climate changes.

What I SHOULD have used, and what I bought to use AFTER I scrape all the crap out of my mounts...

3M Window-Weld. It comes in a white caulking style tube, but it is a METAL tube. it sells at Autozone for about $10 each tube. This is the stuff to use, not the stuff from Home depot.

Learn from my mistakes!!!

BTW my original inspiration was a DSM site's DIY, and his mounts were totally shot. the Window-Weld (from 3M) did the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,804 Posts
on a side note, If your mounts are shot, then this is the route to take. Polyurethane inserts wont fix a cracked rubber mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! THATS what it was... 3-M window stuff........ My god... you are a genious.... WOW.... yes... my freind used that sh*t... works wonders. Thank you. And now I know were to get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
I recently (about 2 months ago) did the DIY polyurethane motor mounts with the 3M Windo-Weld. I did only the two lower mounts. I initially saw this done on http://importnut.net/motormount.htm and decided to give it a try.

I filled both mounts with the 3M Windo-Weld and I used a putty knife to smooth the polyurethane out. I let them cure for 24 hours and then I reinstalled them.

When I first started my car there was no vibration, but the volume of the engine was slightly increased at idle. I could defenitely notice that the mounts were firmer and the responsiveness of the engine was improved and shifting had improved.

In the 2 months that I have had the mounts installed, I have noticed a few small periodic vibrations at idle. But nothing annoying and these could may be attributed to the cold winter weather (ie. 25-35 degrees). Also, when the RPMs exceed 6K RPM the volume of the engine is increased and more pronounced.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top