Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove up to Maine to meet up with pat10demps and do our tranny swap. That's another story. Anyway, I was at about the lower dot on my dipstick so we filled her back to the top.

I then drove back home to NJ. It's about 400 miles or so. I was in VTEC the majority of the ride home thanks to the new ITR Tranny w/ JDM 4.785 FD. Probably averaged 100mph or so.

In addition to that, I went out last night and tooled around for a bit. Total mileage I'd assume to be around 425mi since we filled that oil back up.. prob about 85-90% of the time in VTEC, around 6-6.5k in 5th or so.

Just checked my dipstick. NIL. It was a blank. I added another liter so I can be safe till tomorrow, which brought it barely over the bottom dot.

Obviously there's gonna be oil burn with 5w30 Mobil1 in VTEC for that long a duration of time, especially constant on highway miles.. but to burn that much?

No blue smoke, but my oil pan is pretty beat up. Could that be the culprit? Haven't seen any major stains or anything under the car. It runs fairly rich, frost white rear typically returns to a nice black within a week or two of a car wash. This is likely due to the ECU being in constant open loop since it's an OBD2 motor we made work with an OBD1 ECU. The 2nd O2 sensor is simply cut since it's not needed.

I presume you'll all tell me compression test, leak down test, valve seals, pistons rings, etc.

I'm just hoping with this very extreme scenario someone might be able to give me an answer a little less.. er.. costly. Ha.

Engine is a 2001 B18C1 with 46k on it. SRI, 2.25" Cat Back, Stock Header & Cat (I know, I know.. just don't have the $$ right now).

Tranny is an ITR w/ 4.785 JDM Final Drive and Kaaz LSD. 10k mi on that. Exedy Organic Clutch and ACT StreetLite Flywheel.

·
Registered
402 Posts
MrAngry on Apr/04/04 said:
I then drove back home to NJ. It's about 400 miles or so. I was in VTEC the majority of the ride home thanks to the new ITR Tranny w/ JDM 4.785 FD. Probably averaged 100mph or so.
umm, unless u were flooring it the whole time, u werent in VTEC. u need to have the car floored (as well as several other criteria) in order for VTEC to be engaged.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
SBhatia on Apr/04/04 said:
Quote: MrAngry on Apr/04/04I then drove back home to NJ. It's about 400 miles or so. I was in VTEC the majority of the ride home thanks to the new ITR Tranny w/ JDM 4.785 FD. Probably averaged 100mph or so.
umm, unless u were flooring it the whole time, u werent in VTEC. u need to have the car floored (as well as several other criteria) in order for VTEC to be engaged.
definatly not true. vtec is on after you pass 4400 no matter what, unless the car is not up to temp, or you have low oil pres.

on your oil problem i dont know what to say other then you may have a leak. when i drive on the highway at high speeds, i raise my vtec up so im not running in it with my vafc, but since you dont have one, you couldnt do that.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
not true again. Sahill was right.

ecu looks for a minimum MAP/TPS before going into vtec.

as for the oil leak... i'd try a new oil pan gasket first, since you said your pan is beat up.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The minimum, last I checked, hovered around 3/4 throttle.. something around 4v. Besides the very loud and obvious openings of primaries and secondaries thanks to my exhaust and intake, the pedal was nearly floored. Not completely, obviously, otherwise I'd be constantly accellerating.. which, while tempting on I95, is begging for a license suspension.

I'll look into the gasket as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
probably b/c you have a vafc; they screw around with a lotta stuff.

and the other question is how you can be absolutely certain it is switching into vtec.

·
Registered
82 Posts
wer eyuo in a rush i odn;t see the need to go 100 mph the mojority of a 400 mile trip, sketch... but i would check the oilpan and see if there is any oil leaking from the seal of the oil filter

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I was in a rush to get home.

If I held a mic to my car when I hit each stage, you'd notice it fairly clearly. The pitch change is very blatant, the change in gas consumption is extremely noticeable, and the fact is.. with the new tranny, at 100-110mph, there's no way I'm not in VTEC. Heh.

If it wasn't my oil pan.. what else could be the culprit, losing that much over that long?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
blow by. if you are not getting proper crank case pressure, you will not have a good piston ring- wall seal. this will cause oil vapors to get into your combustion chamber and you will burn some oil. now with you going 100-110 all the way for 400 miles this could be the problem. also your rings could be bad also, that will cause blow by. are you sure the motor you bought had that many miles on it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
StyleTegGSR on Apr/04/04 said:
blow by. if you are not getting proper crank case pressure, you will not have a good piston ring- wall seal. this will cause oil vapors to get into your combustion chamber and you will burn some oil. now with you going 100-110 all the way for 400 miles this could be the problem. also your rings could be bad also, that will cause blow by. are you sure the motor you bought had that many miles on it?
Absolutely certain on the motor. Even have a CarFax for proof (only acquired for when I sell the car, since we pulled the motor from a friend's car who was switching to b18c5 and therefore.. no papers, heh). I doubt I'd have been able to run those 400miles without incident if the seals were bad enough to drain me of nearly 4 quarts.. but, who knows.

Trying to avoid disassembling the head and block.. I guess I'll just have to run a compression and leakdown test if it's not the pan.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the blow by can still be caused by poor crank case ventalation. this will have very little to do with piston ring seal. the line going from the top of your valve cover should go into your intake and you should put a slash cut tube at the end of the line that goes into the intake. that way you will always have vacume in the line. that will reduce blowby alot. 400 miles at 6,500 rpm is very very hard on the motor so it doesn't surprise me that you lost alot of oil

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
ncVTEC1313 on Apr/04/04 said:
definatly not true. vtec is on after you pass 4400 no matter what, unless the car is not up to temp, or you have low oil pres.
I'm convinced we are taking steps backwards when I read things like this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a blue rubber tube covering any gap there may be between the inlet on the intake and the line, which are connected.

Your final comment is what I was looking for.. on an engine that burns oil, running 6500rpms for 400miles may logically warrant 3q+ of oil burnination (haha). Still gonna see about the pan though. Will run a leakdown later this week.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JustinKlemgold on Apr/05/04 said:
Quote: ncVTEC1313 on Apr/04/04

I'm convinced we are taking steps backwards when I read things like this.

Don't say such terrible things in my thread. I didn't say them!

/stigma

haha.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
leakdown and compression test is a good idea.

oil pan gasket leak (or any leak using a dye test) is a good idea.

pcv valve pinch check is a good idea.

cam seals ok?

valve cover seals ok?

oil filter seal?

block seal?

rear main seal?

do the dye test....in other words....

ditch the 5w30 mobil 1 and use regular 10w30 honda oil with a 4000 mile change schedule.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts