3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Luck4rmkc's Turbo GSR Build

Current highest power level acheived - 968 whp
Current best 1/4 mile E.T. - 9.73 @ 151 mph

Recent pix:

Here's How it started in '09:
Hey T-I,
I'm starting a turbo project on my 97 GS-R so I thought I might log my progress and info for anyone interested. This is a bit of a ballin' on a budget build, I have currently spent under 1K on parts. That being said I know that I do not have all the high dollar parts in the world but this still should be a very solid set-up and make some decent power for the money I have in it. I am open to criticism if there is a valid point to back it up. But if it is not constructive discussion please don't bring it here.

Here is the victim

Here is the Money Shot

Well T-I lmk what you think...

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts list:

T3/T4 .50 A/R turbo
Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate
Drag cast manifold
JDM Sport intercooler
Greddy style knockoff BOV
2.5" Downpipe to Greddy Ti-C exhaust
Precision 650cc Injectors (high impedance)
P05 ecu chipped and converted to vtec
Skunk2 obd2 to obd1 jumper harness
Turbo XS boost controller
Autometer Boost Gauge

A lot of these parts are used and were in good working order when removed from the previous vehicle. My friends were upgrading and I couldn't pass up the good deals on all these turbo parts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
what clutch are you going with? i wonder if the stock gsr clutch would hold? and im guessing your using stock internals

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4drdohc on Apr/26/09 said:
what clutch are you going with? i wonder if the stock gsr clutch would hold? and im guessing your using stock internals
Yes I am going to boost on stock internals and I don't have any compression test numbers yet but I will post when I get em. I am leaning toward an ACT clutch with HD pressure plate and full street disc. I am curious if my stock clutch will hold.. but I am sure it won't

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
yeah im not sure, i have a hatch im boost and it has a gsr motor and im boosting it until the oem clutch starts to slip and go out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let me know how this works out when your all said and done. I'm going to boost my GSR this summer as well, stock internals for now, but hopefully new pistons/rods if I can afford it.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was curious as to what amount of power I was starting with so I could see how far I'd come once I boost. So I went to the local dyno day at MKC and strapped her on for some base numbers. Here is the dyno graph it made 153 hp and 118 ft/lbs (not too bad, I had lower expectations).

Also, I had never seen my car wrap out with the hood open before and good god I need new mounts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
***Update***

I started work today installing the turbo kit. Today mostly consisted of removal of my a/c and other parts that will no longer be needed. Here are some progress pics...

Last time the engine bay will look like this

No More A/C and header

Manifold, Turbo and wastegate bolted up loosely to test fitment... conclusion -- I need a half rad

Radiator had to be removed in order to make room for the compressor housing on the turbo. Here is what it looks like for now.

1 - 20 of 3275 Posts