Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been hearin that ls/vtecs are really good to go with..i also heard that they are faster than stock GSR's, im thinkin of doin this instead of buying a b16a, cuz of prices and JDM stuff. the thing im doin is, is that i have a 95 ls, and im thinkin bout buyin a new ls engine for like 850 smacks and getting a gsr head on it makin it an ls/vtec. is this something you guys would recommend over the b16a swap? cuz the ls/vtec should be getting 170-190 hp depending on the car..plus, i would think that doin this method could be cheaper for its result..but i just wanna kno, is it worth it? i also kno i have to buy other parts for this to work..so yea..hehe..thx for your time

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Might want do to a search about the ls/v-tec. I know for sure there are two other threads about it, one posted by me. Check them out, some pretty good responses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eesh, sounds all tough with all when all those problems can arise..but i still dont understand one thing..revving to high is dangerous, do they mean revving above redline is dangerous, or revving near the redline is dangerous? cuz i kno that some ppl race by revving like crazy at first gear then switching gears...=/ just askin to be more clear, and one more quick question..since i got scared of all those reliable things, how much hp would i get out of an average street legal turbo? thanks..

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
they mean that if you increase the redline from the usual 7300 rpm for the LS, you get into problems with valve float, valvespring coilbinding, crankshaft vibration, increased ring, ringland, skirt wear, and cylinder wall sideloading. The highest safest redline on an LS VTEC recommended on a daily driver is 8000 rpm. You can exceed this but the more trips you take her past this point, the more dice you are rolling for the big kabooom. Most people who are fast will have thought out their tranny gearing needs relative to their powerband location and shift appropriately (most at around 300-500 rpm prior to the fuel cutoff to leave themselves a margin of error so as not to hit the fuel cut)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what does the ls/vtec redline at on the guages? like how the ls shows the redlines at 6900..cuz when i race, i never go passed the redline, i just wait til it gets there and right before it hits the line, i switch gears..so im still thinkin bout the ls/vtec again now.. thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Michael Delaney on Aug/22/02 said:
they mean that if you increase the redline from the usual 7300 rpm for the LS,
It's 6900 RPM big guy, I think you need a vacation

·
Registered
879 Posts
He probably is talking about the rev limiter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so wait, the gsr or b16a head wont let the redline go higher, (like how gsr complete motor is 8000 something) so even with the head, itll still be at 6900? but just more power? cuz if it is, then itll be a good thing, unless there are any other cons about the ls/vtec..thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
i would have to go wut the ls v-tec cause that is wut i have and mine is defintely not stock but i can easily beat a stock gsr, and it would be less hassle then sellin your car and getten a gsr, but hat is just my opinion good luck if u go wut the LS V-TEC oh and if u want to change ur redline u should also put a dohc instead of the ls sohc

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you can take an LS VTEC to 8000 rpm. I would not recommend going higher than that on a daily driver. if you do not know what the implication of a low rod ratio is Milkman, then you obviously have not read the articles explaining what a low rod ratio is and it's effect on limiting the redline. I'm not going to repeat and explain what it is here since I must have typed it enough times for you and don't need to spoonfeed a Milkman here. You're a big boy now right?

We are talking about fuel cutoffs here...the true redline...since a tach can be off by as much as 400 rpm...which is why you should invest 60 bucks on a pencil shiftlight running off the distributor and not rely on the tach visually...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so people as a daily driver go passed their redline whenever they drive somewhere casual? do you mean revving passed 8000 as its alrdy redlining it? like when it makes that funny noise? sorry for all the q's, but its just a lil unclear..

·
Registered
162 Posts
daily driver means... just that!! a car that you drive daily. do you take your car to 7000rpm and drive with your needle pointing at 7 everyday? NO! how can you not understand what redline means? have you looked at your tach lately?see the red part where it says the big number 7? and it goes to the big number 8? that is the redline. redline is where the red part of your tachometer starts. you cannot miss it. in fact, since your car is prolly stock, you cannot rev much higher then your redline because there is something called a fuel cut off which will stop the car from going past a few hundred RPMs after reaching your redline.

the redline is set at 6900 because the stock motor in your car cannot operate safely beyond that number. the valvetrain is not capable, nor is the block sturdy enough in its stock configuration.

LS/vtec does not mean adding VTEC to your b18a.. LS/vtec means taking the top of your motor (cylinder head) off and exchanging it with the top of another motor (a motor that comes with vtec.) Therefore your motor now becomes a frankenstein vtec motor.

okay, so now if your cylinder head is able to rev past redline... how about the bottom of the motor? (block) did you modify it? did you do anything to help you rev higher then 6900? prolly not!!.. just because the head can rev til you see god does not mean the block is able to do that.

you MIGHT, be able to take the car to 8000, as MD stated earlier. 8000 would be the last number on your tach. which is 1000rpm past your stock redline. so if you do convert your car to ls/vtec.. when you drive, you have the ABILITY to take your car past the 6900 orinigally made for your b18a. IT DOES NOT MEAN KEEP YOUR CAR AT 8000 for 5 mins, or drive in second gear on the fwy. it just means, if you want to race or if you need fast acceleration. YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO TAKE THE RPM NEEDLE TO 8.

now what about that fuel cutoff? YES! its still there! why? because its in the computer! that means, if you want to rev higher then 6900, you need to swap your computer for a computer that moves the fuel cutoff past 6900 all the way to 8000 or higher. this way, your car will not shut down everytime you accelerate past 6900. and you also need that computer because it is wat turns the vtec on and off.

Remember, redline on a vtec b16 or gs-r is around 8000. and with certain mods, you can take it past that number safely. so by turning your car into a "vtec" you do have the ability to rev around 8000. but because your block originally was made for a 6900 redline, taking it 1100 rpm higher is still putting alot of stress on those parts.

look at the articles, and search other posts for the parts needed to make the ls/vtec work right. goodluck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts