Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vtec head with stock internals, I plan on building up the head and getting a bare block and building that up too. I also plan to turbocharge with all the internals and fuel and oil elements upgraded. My question is I want to get low compression everything. I am wondering wether there is a difference between getting an ls block or a gsr block, if there are any. Are there specific weak points in each block or would they be the same with upgraded components. Btw I plan on running 12psi with as stated above the block and head and also the engine will be fully built up..is there a difference or would it just be a waste of money to buy a type R or GSR block instead of an LS? Sorry if none of this makes sense its 6:10am and I still havent slept.
I appreciate all the help I can get notice the word help not flame, thank you and have a good night.

P.S. This is on my future LS car not the car I currently drive.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hmmm. If you are going turbo in the future a vtec head is not the best idea but won't hurt, but seeing as you already have the vtec head and gsr tranny I wouldn't worry. As far as the blocks are concerned I think they are the same exept for the pistons in the gsr being of higher compression and there being the vtec oil line in the gsr block. May I suggest selling the vtec head, buying an LS and swapping out the LS tranny for the gsr one in the LS. If you are going boost this seems like the simpler option to me, but decisions are up to you. In my opinion there is really no point to having vtec on a turboed car. Good luck to you

·
Registered
910 Posts
yes there IS a difference. the r/s ratio on an ls block is lower than on a gsr block. read the articles, you will learn a lot.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Raised compression on a turbo isnt' the best thing in the world. ITs really just a bit harder to tune, and you have to be much more careful.

As fasr upgrading a block, here's my standpoint:

I would build the bottom of the b18b, for a few reasons, price, and availability, etc.

The fact is there is a few more CC in the B18B. The other deal is there are a wide variety of parts to build the inside, that aren't much different in price for the block. Having a b18C5 block would be a nice to say thing, but when it comes down to it your motor is only capable of ushing enough power without breaking its weakest link. Meaning if your cylinders get bored improperly, head machined, etc, then you can have an issue, after dropping all the money into the block then to take all the internals out to replace them lookignf or the best bang for the buck may not be on everyone's mind as they go through this. I'm sure the b18c5 is a stronger crank then the b18b's from the get go, but the bit of difference can't be that dramatic.

As far as your head goes, get the biggest flowing head you can, and port it more. If you plan on going turbo there is no point to have V-tec enabled at all, (this is an opinion, based ona few facts i know,) having it enabled will actually make the turbo take longer to spool. I'm not to sure what the compression ratio is of an ls/vtec, but I'd want to drop the compression, since tunning a turbo seems to be easer with dropped compression. Then again tunning an 8.5:1 car compared to tunning a 12:1 car are two different ball games I've found forced induction is tamed easiewr with lower compression.

I mereley suggest reading through the articles, (even if you ahve read them already,) and look to see how true I am. I wouldn't want anyone building there car my way, as much as i wouldn't to uild my car some-one elses way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts