Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up.. im in the south plainfield area in nj. I just bought a teggy ls from my friend.. i was contemplating either a ls vtec conversion or t-4 turbo kit or just get some GSR odds and ends like head,ecu,tranny.. any suggestions? also is the skunk2 exhaust any good? ive been looking into it..

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
posted today in this thread

MichaelDelaney on Feb/07/06 said:
I've shown this graph of the difference between single plenum NA vs FI generically (same stroke and displacement and same peak hp potential) before in the old NA vs Turbo threadsand it illustrates the point:

the reason you go to a turbo is to get the low end tq.

the trade-off here is traction and gearing match-up to the powerband for your gear split.

if you start adding variables like more displacement and ITB's instead of a single plenum IM, then you can recover some low end tq like the turbo but not as much as force-feeding in the air flow volume.

the whole reliability story goes out the window if you spend the money on the tuning and assembly of the properly sized parts.: the notion that FI is somehow less reliable is usually said by people who never tuned their FI properly and grenaded their motor. If your tuning talents are limited and you're relying on a plug and play mode, then you might as well get the NA higher displacement OEM swap that requires less tuning know -how.

you have to know your own limits and resources when it comes to reliability but just because you don't know how to assemble or tune properly isn't a reason to label one method unreliable. That's just 1 person's limitation and if they did their homework and found a good assembly shop who cares and a good experienced tuner, they would not have that limitation.

depends if you're doing NA single plenum, NA ITB, FI turbo, FI SC, FI nitrous...each has it's own "tq curve signature" and it's own build-up potholes and landmines.

same question in december

same idea came up here

this is the common topic in the FI forum

why would you want a t4 again ?

and the LSVTEC vs T4...they're 2 totally different peak power goals and powerbands.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
notice how the NA has a specified powerband and less broad?

you trade off one end of the rpm range for the other...you get gains in one end at a cost of some lost at the other and in a small displacement motor with a single stage plenum IM, the gains should be in the upper rpms not the "low end tq" like a big V8 NA.

a turbo force feeds displacement and therefore can give low end tq in a small displacement engine.

it depends on where your tranny is working and what the peak goals are.

the illustration above shows you Cornell University's Undergrad Mechanical Engineering FSAE project where they could choose to design the motor NA vs FI. The engine in either form could achieve the same peak hp and therefore the choice was down to powerband differences and tranny gearing to match up the powerband to the tranny rpm range.

an LSVTEC NA is not going to make the same peak hp as a T4. It can't. Plus NA gives a different tq curve shape than FI.

depends on what you're trying to achieve.

if you educate your friend using the packaging idea, he wouldn't be so lost.

have you read the "I have a Teg, I want More Power. Help Me ." thread here yet? It teaches you the idea in simple language what packaging is...maybe you can the teach it to your friend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been told that the teggy cant handle the turbo unless its tuned perfectly.. worth the risk? i dont kno.. i was thinking to just swap in some gsr parts such as the head,ecu,cams etc.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well, MD layed it out there pretty broad for you. You have to understand that there is no JUST swapping some gsr parts such as head, ecu, cams. This would then be an Ls/Vtec which there is a wealth of information out there to do it correctly. There's a lot of machining and matching the head to the block to make it work correctly.

You have to decide which route you want to go. Like MD said, NA and FI are two different spectrums.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ChAdWiCk706 on Feb/09/06 said:
ive been told that the teggy cant handle the turbo unless its tuned perfectly.. worth the risk? i dont kno.. i was thinking to just swap in some gsr parts such as the head,ecu,cams etc.
It doesn't have to be tuned "perfectly" since nothing is really perfect but its worth it to get it tuned by reputable shops who can tune honda engines. I'm not saying a stock motor can handle 15-20lbs of boost without building but to run a mild turbo setup, you just need a shop that will tune your car to run at the "ideal" AFR on your FI setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.