Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine has everything he needs to do his ls/vtec converstion but he wants to know whats the best way to wire a toggle swtich off the solenoid?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Bad Idea.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Why would he want a toggle switch for the soleniod? There's only one RPM where the engine will achieve maximum performance from the VTEC crossover. Activate VTEC at any other point and he will just be going slower.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not that he wants to be able to activate it a a lower rpm, he just has no other way to activate the vtec so he says he has to do it manualy. how else can you activate the vtec with an RS obdI ecu?

·
Registered
743 Posts
what about an msd box w/ a rpm activated switch. that would be the easiest and cheapest way i would think.
there are vtec controllers though.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
quiksilver on Aug/14/02 said:
how else can you activate the vtec with an RS obdI ecu?
By replacing it with a GSR ECU. I know it's a longshot heh heh. The non-VTEC ECU isn't mapped correctly for VTEC motors anyway.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
SurferX on Aug/14/02 said:
Quote: quiksilver on Aug/14/02how else can you activate the vtec with an RS obdI ecu? By replacing it with a GSR ECU. I know it's a longshot heh heh...
exactly, you might want to suggest to your friend that he gets ahold of somebody that knows what they are doing. No offense but it's pretty obvious he doesn't know what hes doing and the engine wont be very good or last that long. again no offense

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Is he ignorant or retarted? If his solution to having the wrong ECU for an engine is to put in a toggle switch instead of replace the ECU, an integral part of the entire engine swap procedure, than he obviously isnt ready for this conversion.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. I understand what you have all said. before I even posted I told him just to buy a used gsr ecu or even reprogram his OBDI ecu, but he insists on the toggle switch. ignoring that its a stupid idea, can yall still tell me how it would be wired?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
seriously, bad idea. I refuse to tell, because I KNOW he will crap his car out. he could end up doing more damage to his car than buying a JDM PR3 ECU (For Gen2) or GS-r ECU (For Gen3). Seriously.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
quiksilver on Aug/14/02 said:
ok. I understand what you have all said. before I even posted I told him just to buy a used gsr ecu or even reprogram his OBDI ecu, but he insists on the toggle switch. ignoring that its a stupid idea, can yall still tell me how it would be wired?
Sorry. I'm sure it could be easily done, but it makes no sense to do it. Tell him to get a VTEC controller if he doesn't want to get a new ECU.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you cannot locate a P28, PR3, P30, P72, or P73 ECU with VTEC and you are stuck with an LS P74 or P75 ECU then, get a vtec controller or as was stated before make your own rpm activated switch (not manual,..but is preset for the rom you want). The VTEC controllers have a solenoid activation trigger. the fuel map on the P74/75 ECUs will suck and not deliver enough fuel for your needs if you are going to build a heavy hitter LS VTEC unless you use a bigger injector and use the vtec controller fuel adjustment...so it would be wiser to take the time and try to locate a vtec ecu instead out of a junkyard.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Michael Delaney on Aug/15/02 said:
Quote: AntiriceInteg on Aug/15/02

vtec toggle switch ha ha ha haI swear you people think vtec is like NOS or somethingVTEC R!!!

so why don't you tell us the 5 things that activate the vtec solenoid, since you seem to know more than he does....
*snickers* He's in trouble now...[/Joker]

·
Registered
645 Posts
if you have no moey to buy a new ecu get your ecu reprogramed with a vtec program,or get apex'i vafc that would help you too.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
SpoonVtec on Aug/15/02 said:
if you have no moey to buy a new ecu get your ecu reprogramed with a vtec program,or get apex'i vafc that would help you too.
I would say it as if you don't have the money to buy the correct ECU, then you don't have the money to buy a new engine after your LS/VTEC project blows up in your face because of trying to take money-saving shortcuts.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
hey let me take a whack at it...
1-output from the speed sensor telling the ECU you are moving forward
2-Temperature (water) telling the ECU that we are warm enough to not break stuff
3- Tachometer pulses telling the ECU we are at the right RPMS
4- the ECU outputs a 12v signal to open the VTEC solenoid after 1,2,& 3 are good
5- Oil pressure( switch at the solenoid)is adequate for both lubrication and pressure to lock the pins across the cams

Do I get a Gold star, or did I mess up?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts