Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if LS-Vtec passes smog ? or does it depend on the set up or what ?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
In California? I doubt it. Depends how much cash you hand them haha.

The actual run test isn't what you're worried about. It's the inspection. Since your ECU won't match the ECU your car is supposed to have I doubt they'll let you go any further.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Man California really blows for car enthusiets, good thing us oregonians dont have to deal with CARB n all that sh*t.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so it will pass smog sleeperls93 ? and about the ecu.. i would get a whole new one anyway so why wouldnt they let it pass ? do they not let cars pass unless they have there stock ecu ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a 94 ls with a b18b1 and i wanted to do a ls-vtec conversion with a b16a1 head.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
You won't pass, take it from a Californian. You're messing with the emissions equipment which is a big no-no. You'll fail for something as small as a header upgrade if it doesn't have a CARB number here in California so I can't imagine a chopped up frankenstein engine going anywhere on the inspection. You'll need to find a hookup to pass.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
you have 2 options:

1. go to a private garage - they will pass you but you usually have to pay like 100 bucks

2. get a fake sticker - i know a lot of guys around here that just buy a sticker thats looks nearly identicial to the real one, the only reason you REALLY need to have your car inspected is when your pulled over by a cop and all he does is look to see you have it

when i first got my car i was worried about passing everything but after seeing how the dickheads at the inspection station treated my car ill never do that again

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
sleeperls93 on Sep/08/02 said:
In New York you'll pass, I have no idea how Cali laws differ...
There's a reason why when talking about cars at the dealership they say 49 state legal. Guess who the 50th state is...

·
Registered
267 Posts
kingkash420 on Sep/08/02 said:
2. get a fake sticker - i know a lot of guys around here that just buy a sticker thats looks nearly identicial to the real one, the only reason you REALLY need to have your car inspected is when your pulled over by a cop and all he does is look to see you have it
What kind of penalties are associated with doing this? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
ChaseKB on Sep/09/02 said:
Quote: kingkash420 on Sep/08/022. get a fake sticker - i know a lot of guys around here that just buy a sticker thats looks nearly identicial to the real one, the only reason you REALLY need to have your car inspected is when your pulled over by a cop and all he does is look to see you have it
What kind of penalties are associated with doing this? Just curious.
i don't live in pennslyvania so i couldn't tell you

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Hey Surfer, what, if anything, can he do if he can't pass inspection? He's done a lot of work to his car, I'm sure, ls/vtec isn't easy, I would hate if it was my car and the stupid state didn't pass it...

I'm glad I live in Pa...what? Did I say that?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
SurferX on Sep/09/02 said:
Quote: sleeperls93 on Sep/08/02In New York you'll pass, I have no idea how Cali laws differ... There's a reason why when talking about cars at the dealership they say 49 state legal. Guess who the 50th state is...
lol dude that really sucks. thats why im soooo glad i live in West Virginia and not California.
where i get my inspection done all he does is peel off the sticker and put the new one on. emissions testing what?!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
They do scan the ECM's, I'm not sure all the info they are able to pull though. Whatever is on the ECM I'm sure they can pull it though. Doug at Hondata told me they can tell if you do OBD2->1 conversion and you most likely won't pass because of it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I going thru smog skool rite now. If you got a LS vetec conversion i gurantee you that you wont past for sh*t. Theres a certain level you have to maintain HC CO and Nox. If you have a fully built LS vtec that means all your pistons and cylinders are at higher combustion to make your car go faster. This is what produce HC and CO. If your HC and CO is too high then you will fail for too much o2 if your HC and CO is too low then you fail for nox. So its really hard to trick a machine to make you past no matter what you do. Besides techs arnt stupid they can tell if you have a built motor they will tell you that your not gonna past before you pay. So go get a hook up. They usually charge 100-150 to past. Or wanna give it a shot, my friend from smog skool said to do this. Go to the most popular and packed place for smog. Use a different car replace the licenes plate. When there busy they dont even check the VIN # on the car they just scan the DMV registration paper cause its quicker and there lasy.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
How will you fail for NOx if your HC and CO levels are low? I'd like to know more about how the test works.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
5-gas analysis isn't simple. NOx is produced at high combustion temps and pressures. NOx isn't really directly related to HC and CO levels. A properly tuned high performance car will have low HC, CO & O2 and high CO2 and NOx. A high performance engine has high cylinder pressure and temps because that is what makes the power, it is also what produces NOx. Diesels have very high NOx, and I believe are still exempt from NOx testing.

HC + O2 = H20 + CO2 (unbalanced)
Complete combustion results in only water and carbon dioxide. The gas levels change differently depending on why there is incomplete combustion. A lean misfire reads differently than an ignition misfire.

Oo9o9xAzNoO,
Are you attending UTI?

·
Registered
244 Posts
just ask around and see if anyone you know, knows someone who works at an inspection place, slip em $50-100
and your done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts