Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my mind set on an lsvtec conversion, but i would also love a turbo for my 97 RS. I was leaning more toward lsvtec because I heard doing an lsvtec will make good power gains for a lot cheaper than a turbo. But what do you guys think? should i go with lsvtec and eventually turbo it, or just turbo it?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
People please pull your heads out of your asses.

I swear, I'm gone for a week and the grass has gotten knee high.

one reason the LS/VTEC combination is such a good idea is b/c of the midrange torque it produces. Thise comes from the combination of a low rod ratio from the b18b engine and the small port volume of the b16. This speeds up airflow REALLY fast in the mid-range, but the engine is choked way up top, all b/c of the size of the port volume.

Zad5, you have been a member for as long as possible on this board, and it seems as if you have learned NOTHING.

The LS/VTEC and the turbo setup (depending on setup) all have their different pros and cons. They also have their different powerband locations and engine packages. Do not follow the hype! I'm deleting any non-informative posts. If you say LS/VTEC or turbo then you better have a pretty good explanation, not what some other dude said or some biased opinion.

·
Registered
472 Posts
yo all im trying to say is that if you do ls/vtec then the r/s (rod to stroke ratio) will be low which means that you can't rev to high but if you are doing turbo instead of all motor i guess it's cool my bad. but if you rev high then its not good it would break your cylinder wall.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IntegraBad18c on Aug/14/02 said:
This speeds up airflow REALLY fast in the mid-range, but the engine is choked way up top, all b/c of the size of the port volume.
really? thats a new one to me. but does it still flow better than a b18b1 at the high end? and how high up are we talking here?

another question, how high up can i rev it safely? i am putting a gsr ecu in it, so i wouldnt be able to rev much farther than 8100 anyway b/c of fuel cutoff.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
zad5 on Aug/15/02 said:
yo all im trying to say is that if you do ls/vtec then the r/s (rod to stroke ratio) will be low which means that you can't rev to high but if you are doing turbo instead of all motor i guess it's cool my bad. but if you rev high then its not good it would break your cylinder wall.
You still have the same rod/stroke ratio if you were to turbo the engine. I think you need some brushing up.
That rod ratio is great for the LS/VTEC engine package. Small port volumes dictate that the power band be at a lower rpm, like b16 port volumes (one reason they don't, but CAN, rev higher than us). If you take a low rod ratio like on the b18b you'll find that piston speeds away from TDC for the first 90 degrees ATDC are helluva faster than piston speeds away from TDC in a b16.

So you get two major players in the low end and throw them together. Don't say anything unless you know what you're talking about or you're ready to take full responibility for what you said.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
97teg on Aug/15/02 said:
Quote: IntegraBad18c on Aug/14/02

This speeds up airflow REALLY fast in the mid-range, but the engine is choked way up top, all b/c of the size of the port volume.

really? thats a new one to me. but does it still flow better than a b18b1 at the high end? and how high up are we talking here?

another question, how high up can i rev it safely? i am putting a gsr ecu in it, so i wouldnt be able to rev much farther than 8100 anyway b/c of fuel cutoff.

As to how the b16 head flows depends on what it is attached to. Great for low to mid range rpm's b/c of the small port volume. Remember one of the biggest ways to make more flow velocity/less flow capacity? Make the inner diameter smaller.

The b18b has larger ports than the b16. B/c of this it has more flow capacity at higher rpms. So, yes, the b18b head would be good for high rpm use (I've seen as high as 9500 rpms).

Why do you want to rev it higher? There is no point. You don't make any more power after your redline. I really doubt that gsr ecu is going to benefit you.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh no, i didnt mean i wanted to rev past the redline, i was just wondering is the redline raised when you slap the b16a head on the b18b1 block. I was told that when you do that, you get the redline of a gsr.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My ecu does not pass 8200rpms without me bouncing off the limiter, and that is the only reason I would raise my rev limit on my lsvtec. I hate it when I hit the rev limiter, but I don't think it's necessary to rev past 8000 rpms on an lsvtec.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thanks. i think there is still some confusion here. i meant is the redline raised from the LS redline of 6800. But I guess from your response you do take it past the LS redline.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
look the redline is not the rev limiter. it is based on the valvetrain and the bottom end. the valvetrain may support higher RPMs but the bottom end can't. READ THE DARN ARTICLES ABOUT ROD RATIOS!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts