Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread earlier and it had a link to a website about ls/v-tec not being worth it. I was planning to do this in the future but now I'm having second thoughts. What do you guys think.....should I try the ls/v-tec or just drop a GS-R and maybe supercharge?

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to the forum, but here is a simple answer to your question, you lose alot of reliability. They say that an LS/VTEC conversion will only have your engine lasting approximently 30,000 miles, I am sure it has gone higher then that but, constant care and a religious maintanance schedule will play key in the upkeeping of your car. Personally, I even think that you would have to go to less work maintaing a turbo charged car compare to an LS/VTEC setup. But that's my opinion.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
They say?? opinion??
The cost and dificulty is higher for the LS/VTEC. You actually have to remove, dismantle, blueprint, modify, rebuild, then re-install your engine. difficulty=extreme, and if you mess one thing up... that is where the reliability issues arise. a motor swap that doesn't require you to get into the guts is rather simple. the end result: Ls-vtec have more lowend power and rev safely to 7000 (dont exceed 8000) and if you had the bucks to go FI it will Whomp some major a$$. GSR, great engine and simpler to just swap out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
just out of curiosity, what is better if u want to turbo, a ls/vtec or gsr motor. i figured ls/vtec since the ls has lower compression, but does adding vtec change that?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
define better.

first point, we had a 5 page thread on whether to build up an LS by using an LS VTEC, turbo, or swap before. Why are we rehashing this question again over and over? Is there some confusion about a 5 page thread that we did not cover? If so, pinpoint that confusion rather than posting a broad general question like this please. Again I plead with 14-18 yr olds on this board and the new members...PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTIoN FIRST TO SEE IF YOUR QUESTIoN HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED (CHOOSE THE MAIN BODY AND NOT TITLE OPTIoN IN THE SEARCH).

Secondly, personally, I think people who have never done an LS VTEC should stop posting "what other people say...". If they have owned an LS VTEC for more than 2 years then I would listen to them, if they give both the pluses and minuses (nothing is just good always). If they just had theirs done and are in the middle of thumping them in the first year and they say it's reliable, then take it with a grain of salt. BTW just because an import magazine does a story on a turbo LS VTEC, it doesn't mean you should run out and do one too. Have you not noticed that the magazine failed to mention how much boost that guy runs anywhwere in the article? Don't you find that one bit interesting (is it a low 6-8 psi or is it 10 psi or is it 14-16 psi? I doubt that it is 10-16 psi personally). DId you also notice the magazine article failed to mention how long he has been running the engine. Everyone knows reliability is a huge issue and so why did they not address that? Please think about what info you aren't being hyped about.

Can it be done by yourself? if you are mechanically inclined? sure. However, you would still want to send it to a machine shop to align the dowel pin holes PROPERLY at the very minimum, even if you were doing the assembling job yourself. You can do the Home Depot method of blocking that oil line in the VTEC head draining to the VTEC solenoid or you can have the machine shop do it.

Is it reliable? Put it this way...it runs. The question of how long it lasts really depends on the preparation & installation, how picky you are about details, and how hard you drive it. The anal retentive type personalities do better in this situation...paying attention to details and choosing a good shop that is equally anal about what they do is a good thing. If you resurface the block deck and head deck, use ARP head studs for more clamping force, and a new head gasket, you know the mating surfaces are flat and clean..ensuring that any effect warpage or grime will not affect leaks.

Ensuring the mismatched ducts are closed, like the VTEC solenoid oil line is closed off properly and that your head deck is flat/flush with the plug in, reduces the chances of leaking in the future.

Vacuum leaks, coolant temperature, and oil leaks are the first problems to crop up with these motors. They are the symptoms of where the details were not paid attention to.

When people say you should blueprint the engine, which blueprint clearances does the machine shop use?: The LS clearances or the VTEC head's clearances?

As I have said over and over about this topic, the person who assembles and machines the engine parts to make an LS VTEC fit is THE MOST IMPORTANT factor in making the package work for a long time. Finding an experienced shop who has done many of these and who give a sh*t about what they do (not punching the clock and thinking about their GF when they are working on your engine) is huge.

It would be wise not to run above 8000 rpm in an LS VTEC if you still have the same LS crank and stock rod length. Remember the rod ratio is still only 1.54. Sure people have revved them to 10K rpm...ask them how long the engine lasted.

If you are looking for less worries about these sorts of issues, then sticking with a turbo and tuning the air fuel ratio/torque will give you as reliable an engine as a stock LS...seriously. People who say that turbos are less reliable have never had a tuning day in their life or don't understand the limits of how long and how much boost you can run under certain limitations. As long as you know that running at peak boost for a long time at WOT is not going to help and know how to fuel tune, you will be fine even at 11-12 psi boost. 10 psi boost in a stock LS block is reliable.... if you tune it. This is not an intake. You don't just bolt it on and your done.

The easiest installation is by far the GSR swap. Does it make more power than the turbo? no. Does it make more power than the LS VTEC? not necessarily (depending on the package used in the LS VTEC). Is it more reliable than the LS VTEC with less oil & vacuum leaks? if it was an engine that was hammered and not maintained by the previous owner and the LS VTEC was built by a dependable expereinced builder, no.

Last point, if you plan to waste your money and build an LS VTEC WITH boost rather than just running boost on a stock LS.... remember, that boost adds pressure inside a cylinder. The LS VTEC has a head and block that were never meant to be put together and you are "Frankensteining" the fit. If you add a lot more pressure inside the cylinder from boost, which one has more chance of having a head gasket leak or a head lifting off the block?: a stock engine with a head and block that were meant to fit together from the factory or a Frankenstein fitted head and block????

so does "better" mean ease of installation without hassles and having to be overly anal about every step of the process, or more power, or more reliability ?

what IS "better"?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Thanx mike! that is what I was trying to say, just didn't have the time to say it. BTW I am doing a LS VTEC right now and I AM anal. and it IS a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Jacksont001 on Aug/15/02 said:
Thanx mike! that is what I was trying to say, just didn't have the time to say it. BTW I am doing a LS VTEC right now and I AM anal. and it IS a pain in the ass.
yes anal things are usually a pain in the ass, butt you should never give up or else someone may be rapidly pass you from behind and that would be a real bummer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
dont forget to put in the gurdle body, it prevents the pistons siderubbing the walls as much. gsr and type r has it. you could buy it for $270.
after you plug in the old vtec oil hole, i recommend that you also weld in that hole so it could have a flat strong surface. or else you'll have a leak problem that will drip onto ur exhaust pipe and cause alot of smoke.
I have an Ls/Vtec setup cuz my 11.4.1 compression gsr block blew. if you get that gurdle and weld in the plug, your motor will last

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Hah! you said Bum(mer)and (p)ass.

·
Registered
162 Posts
hey mike.. i did a search trying to find that 5 page thread on ls vtec.. i can't seem to find it with all this other stuff around when did you see it? so at least i know which date to look near

1 - 14 of 14 Posts