Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I local shop owner will trade me my 96 ls tranny with no grinds plus $200 cash for a 95 gsr tranny w/ no grinds. Is it worth it to do this trade. Both have about equal miles on'em?

·
The Enforcer!
5,803 Posts
ig4teg on Feb/25/04 said:
I local shop owner will trade me my 96 ls tranny with no grinds plus $200 cash for a 95 gsr tranny w/ no grinds. Is it worth it to do this trade. Both have about equal miles on'em?
how do you know the gsr tranny doesnt grind? dont know until you mount it on your car

but i dont think a gsr tranny on a ls is a good idea

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
gsr tranny on an LS is a great idea. I say go for it, but ask the guy for some sort of warranty, get it in writing, and if any thing should be a problem, he will have to fix or replace it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the guy would screw me on it. I know him personally. I was originally looking for an ITR tranny but the 120 mph top speed doesn't really appeal to me.

What kind of improvement would a gsr tranny only give me on my 15.9 sec 5spd LS. All other things equal?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
No you don't need a gs-r ecu.. any b series tranny bolts up to any b series engine without any other modification.

It is really hard to say "how much" of an increase you will get from this but there will surely be one.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Tell him to include installation, and I call that a good deal.

But you gotta ask, why does he want that LS tranny? Makes you have second doubts on it in the first place. If it's the typical: "Oh I'm going to boost and I need longer gears so I can stay in boost longer.....
" Oh well.

You lay down more torque in every gear with a GSR tranny, and depending on how you mod your car, it tends to have a better up-shift landing rpm at redline for your power band package over the LS.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jessejames on Feb/25/04 said:
save your dough and get a C5 tranny dude youll be way more happy(and faster)
my problem with that is the 30 mile 80mph drive to and from work each day. My rpms will be even higher with an itr tranny. The gsr seemed like a good compromise.

Wish I knew what kind of gain i'll get from this... It's a pain in the ass to change out!

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I love how everyone throws out "get this" "no do this" when they have no idea what this guy wants from his car? What are you planning to use the car for? What is your powerband location? What mods have you/will you do? Lastly most of this is already covered here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
yeah i hear ya on the rpm issue. i dont have the itr tranny because i do a lot of road trips. just assumed you would be doing the swap for track reasons. \

"I love how everyone throws out "get this" "no do this" when they have no idea what this guy wants from his car? What are you planning to use the car for? What is your powerband location? What mods have you/will you do? Lastly most of this is already covered here."

get off my back woman

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
justYncredible on Feb/25/04 said:
but i dont think a gsr tranny on a ls is a good idea

Wow, what an idiotic statement. You are now crowned moron of the day.

Torque Multiplication

Quote: TegGsr2120 on Feb/25/04 It is really hard to say "how much" of an increase you will get from this but there will surely be one.

Not it is not hard at all, it is an exact science really. Just check the link above.

Quote: ig4teg on Feb/25/04 Wish I knew what kind of gain i'll get from this...
Wish granted, link above.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Louse76 on Feb/26/04 said:
Quote: MichaelDelaney on Feb/26/04just to point out a blatant mistake on this thread:
the top speed isn't 120 mph with an itr tranny.

Right, but its not much off, 127 @ 6800RPM (we're talking B18B1 here).
yeah I still have a b18b and I figured it at about 6500rpm instead of 6800 cause at 6500 my power goes down the tubes.

And as far as the gains I read through the article posted and understand that..that is why I want this tranny. My ? was more of a time gained in the 1/4 not that I'll gain roughly 55-60 ft/lbs of APPLIED torque

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK MY MAIN QUESTIoN WAS......It it worth it? he's giving me $500.00 for mine and I give him 200 more for the gsr tranny.

Sorry I even brought up the performance factors of this cause it always gets derailed with a bunch of personal opinions

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Looking from a performance aspect, I'd say go with the C5...

...But if theres nothing else, just go with the GSR, if you got the money.

Why keep the LS tranny if you have the chance to upgrade? (Turbo?)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.