Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 LS motor. Should i

A: Get a Type R head.
B: Get a type R Motor
or
C:Get a GS-R motor.

And what will last the longest without problems.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
hmm, as a matter of personal opinion, i would go with B or C just because i like rock solid reliability, and i'm not saying A won't be, but that B and C are better...Between those 2, it would depend on the money being spent...

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
I would keep your current engine and install some type R cams....then get a RevHard turbo and turbocharge it....then look up Jackson Racing's Supercharger site and see how much their superchargers cost....if it's not too bad, get one of those also.

100 shot of NOS is a must when you're building up your engine like this...don't worry about swapping your tranny yout, the LS tranny is great for f/i applications because of the longer gearing.

[/Sarcasm]

Please do some research on the site. You'll find so much info on here it will blow your mind instead of your engine. This site is a library, it's up to you to access all the info.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
which will last the longest? :

the one that was broken in properly when it was new, has lower mileage, and wasn't abused before you got it.

the one that is not abused after you get it and maintained and tuned properly.

if I was getting any engine, I'd still want to run a leakdown and compression test on it and hear it run (listen for a thrown bearing or detonation).

that's a pretty common sense thing.

as for which one?

the LSVTECs are the least reliable. I know that there are lots of LS VTEC builders who will tell you otherwise but remember, they have a self-interest in doing so. I don't. My own engine builder actually discourages people from building one! LOL. but that's because he's an honest good guy.

you can choose either b18c's which are complete longblocks that don't need Frankensteining or adjusting (even with a Golden Eagle kit for the LSVTEC you need to at minimum, deck the block and mill the head to ensure a flat clean head gasket sealing surface).

the problem is the rise in car theft and our insurance rates is because of people like you (owners of LS wanting to buy b18c's). the b18c's come from 3 sources: JDM importers, crashed B18c's, or more likely than not stolen B18C's. So it's probably better for us B18c owners to tell you to get an LSVTEC or an H22 or hell even go for an F series or to FI your B18a/b's !! LOL

but seriously, have you looked into supercharging or turbcharging your b18b? the cost would be about the same and the gain would be the same if not more.

·
Registered
537 Posts
JustinKlemgold on Apr/16/04 said:
I would keep your current engine and install some type R cams....then get a RevHard turbo and turbocharge it....then look up Jackson Racing's Supercharger site and see how much their superchargers cost....if it's not too bad, get one of those also.
hold on... are you saying turbocharge AND supercharge his engine??? i didnt think that was even possible

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
phast94 on Apr/16/04 said:
hold on... are you saying turbocharge AND supercharge his engine??? i didnt think that was even possible
Ugh...didn't you read my whole post? I ended it with [/sarcasm]

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Nope, everything above it was just joking around...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Justin was absolutely right with his advice.

you really need to take a look at the previous LSVTEC-related threads and the VTEC head differences thread in the Common Topics and then take a look at some of the good threads in the FI forum.

in fact there are LS owners here who basically decided to say screw it to the VTEC thing and built up their LS's with success (404 cams threads or FI LS threads) at a reasonable performance level for the money spent.

·
Registered
428 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Ugh...didn't you read my whole post? I ended it with [/sarcasm]

[/QUOTE]

imagine that.

but back to the topic at hand, keep the LS motor and look into some of your boost options. there is plenty of reading here to keep you occupied for a while.

·
Registered
935 Posts
built4speed on Apr/16/04 said:
paperclip, apc sticker, some lint, and 3 rocks .. Thats if you install it side by side with mcguiver.

[/joke]

Funny guy JK is lol
ROFLMFAO!!!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
willwantsITR on Apr/16/04 said:
if im not mistaken RS has same engine as LS...if not...read the thread anyway...nonvtec daily driver but still has nice performance
You are correct. 3rd gen RS, LS, GS, SE all use the same engine (B18b1).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Keep the ls and build it up, but hey its your mula, spend wisely, but in my opinion go all motor ls, but then again i dont know what your goals are, good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts