Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing my lower control arms this weekend.

I was told to get a recplacement for both of these bolts, that i could run into a problem with them breaking.

Just wondering if you guys can let me know which bolts are being spoke of....I'm told there long bolts that bolt into the subframe or something of that nature.

Correct me if im wrong.

Links for the diagrams, i think it on one of these!

Diagram1

Diagram2

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Yes #19 in the first diagram. While you are down there and in the process of replacing rusted bolts, the ones that are #34 & #35 in the second diagram (same part #) are worth replacing as well.

If they are rusted on bad enough you might have to break the welded nut they go into on the front side of the subframe & trailing arms.

If that's the case you can get some matching sized nuts & washers. Talk to your local dealership, they can get you the right ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you run into problems getting that bolt out, like I did here is what I did. First I took a crack at it with some WD40 and let it sit over night, then went at it with a regular ratchet, couldnt get it off. Next went at it with an impact and stripped the head, and I was like WTF!!!!! So after that I said enough dicking with this thing and grabbed a socket just a smidge smaller, pounded it on the stripped head, grabbed a welder and ran a bead between the socket and bolt head, let it cool and took a breaker bar to it. Came right out, but had to get a ride to the stealership to get a couple new replacements.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had to cut the ears that go around the LCA off the strut because the bolts rust to the inside of the bushing NOT FUN!!
You will know because the head will turn and the rest of it won't then you know you're f*cked

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, welding the socket on a stirpped nut is something I picked up from this old timer a couple years back. Was talking cars and got on the subject of stripped bolt heads and he told me about that. Tried it one time and it work well, and now keep that in my bag of tricks when it comes to working on rusted bolts. More of a last resort thing though because the socket will be ruined after welding it on there.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Japanjay on Dec/09/08 said:
Yeah, welding the socket on a stirpped nut is something I picked up from this old timer a couple years back. Was talking cars and got on the subject of stripped bolt heads and he told me about that. Tried it one time and it work well, and now keep that in my bag of tricks when it comes to working on rusted bolts. More of a last resort thing though because the socket will be ruined after welding it on there.
Yeah but look at the good side,you got the bolt out and your only out a few bucks for a new socket !

·
Banned
9,126 Posts
Blazinqwickly on Dec/09/08 said:
Quote: Japanjay on Dec/09/08Yeah, welding the socket on a stirpped nut is something I picked up from this old timer a couple years back. Was talking cars and got on the subject of stripped bolt heads and he told me about that. Tried it one time and it work well, and now keep that in my bag of tricks when it comes to working on rusted bolts. More of a last resort thing though because the socket will be ruined after welding it on there.

Yeah but look at the good side,you got the bolt out and your only out a few bucks for a new socket !
lol or talk to your local craftsman or snap-on guy and ask for a replacement lol jk. But, i'd love to see someone explain that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dont have to pay for anything besides stall time. I got this place I go to that I can rent a stall for $6 an hour with all the tools you can possibly think included in that price, overnight storage on the lift is $1.50. Huge Presses, air tools, welding booths, various types of lifts, paint booth that is being upgraded right now with new exhaust fans, cherry pickers, engine diagnostic readers, and mount and balance machine. And it is only about a min from work and 5 minutes from my apartment.

I just told the guys that run the shop what I was going to do and they found an old socket that they wouldnt miss and told me to weld it up and go at it. Basically they are just there for technical help, if you are doing something and need a hand, specific tool from the back you need, or cant figure something out that you are trying to fix. Pretty sweet place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Japanjay on Dec/09/08 said:
I dont have to pay for anything besides stall time. I got this place I go to that I can rent a stall for $6 an hour with all the tools you can possibly think included in that price, overnight storage on the lift is $1.50. Huge Presses, air tools, welding booths, various types of lifts, paint booth that is being upgraded right now with new exhaust fans, cherry pickers, engine diagnostic readers, and mount and balance machine. And it is only about a min from work and 5 minutes from my apartment.

I just told the guys that run the shop what I was going to do and they found an old socket that they wouldnt miss and told me to weld it up and go at it. Basically they are just there for technical help, if you are doing something and need a hand, specific tool from the back you need, or cant figure something out that you are trying to fix. Pretty sweet place.
i would love to open a place like that. working on a car in a parking lot sucks. what is the name of the place?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.