Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: 1990 Integra

110k mileage. Auto. Sedan

I have been driving it about a month ago and would have done like 70 miles. About 70 miles ago I changed the engine oil. Lately it is raining in California. All of a sudden, within about 0.5mile of driving, Low Oil Pressure Warning Light came on and flickering.

All the fluid level is more than max level. Firestone might have put 5qt.

What should I do? Is it safe to drive?

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you are getting a low pressure oil light i personally won't drive it until you've verified if it's a fault sender for the gauge or legitimate low pressure oil.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Where is the oil pressure sender in this car?
I'm taking a lot of wild swings at this but I'm assuming you have a late 80's early 90's integra with the b18a1 if that's the case it should be right next to the oil filter

oil grade should be 5w30 based on that same assumption which is pretty common across the generations based on what i found.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this have OBD?

I have had check engine light intermittently came on after about 1.2 miles of driving.

I will try and reduce the engine oil level and bring it to the max level.

·
Registered
167 Posts
your's should be an OBD-0 if nothings been changed/swapped. If you're going that far you might just do a full oil change, I'm not aware of a way to siphen some of the oil out without completely draining the oil pan or without making a massive mess :p

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your's should be an OBD-0 if nothings been changed/swapped. If you're going that far you might just do a full oil change, I'm not aware of a way to siphen some of the oil out without completely draining the oil pan or without making a massive mess :p

I was thinking of loosening the oil pan bolt and let it drain a bit in a pan.

The oil change is 100mile old - should I still change the oil/filter?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hard to say, For me I have a mechanical oil pressure tester tool that i would just plug in and test that way for issues. The Haynes manual unfortunately doesn't give a Ohm reading for testing the resistance on the sensor to see if there is any issues.

Assuming you don't have the oil pressure tester tool . My next steps would be:
1. drain some oil and bring it back to max (as you mentioned)
2. Full oil change with new oil and filter (after running Seafoam through the engine) (warning this can cause old leaking/grimey seals to possibly leak worse)
3. take the car to someone that has the oil pressure tester tool to get an actual reading

Depending on how that stuff goes, I would start looking at things like the oil pump and rod bearings (getting into full rebuild) Definitively don't keep driving on it if the engine fails the above 3 steps or the engine could be irreparable.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Which is the right oil pressure sender?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/acura,1990,integra,1.8l+l4,1000179,electrical-switch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588

Had the car towed and re-did the oil/filter.
M/c demonstrated to me that even with 3qts of oil the “engine oil light” came on (its very dull though).
He put 4 qts and the (dull) “engine oil light” was on. As I drove home 3-4 miles, it disappeared. Then started the engine again it came on but disappears as I start to drive.
The light is not bright red as you see when you first turn the key (without the engine running).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1) Did oil/filter change - prob didn't go away
2) Changed the pressure sender - initially prob didn't go away. But then it was gone for a few weeks (of course I don't drive a lot). It has been faint red light

Then today as I was driving it actually flashed with the right brightness. At the stop light, I turned off the engine. Then when I started the engine, it didn't do it again at all - it might have had a very faint flickering but that's all. But this time, it said seat belt was not worn! So I opened the door and closed - so the automatic belt moved and put it on top of me again. That fixed the seat belt light.

If this is a on/off light, why it flashes - is it designed to flash?

·
Administrator
3,596 Posts
Its an oil pressure sending unit. It detects pressure (not oil capacity). If the pressure is at a low threshold, it'll flicker, only because the pressure is "hovering" right around the point of the light illuminating.

It seems as though you have low oil pressure (which isn't good) more than likely by a worn journal bearing. However, oil pumps have been known to go bad. Oil pumps typically either work, or fail. There's usually no in between.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its an oil pressure sending unit. It detects pressure (not oil capacity). If the pressure is at a low threshold, it'll flicker, only because the pressure is "hovering" right around the point of the light illuminating.

It seems as though you have low oil pressure (which isn't good) more than likely by a worn journal bearing. However, oil pumps have been known to go bad. Oil pumps typically either work, or fail. There's usually no in between.

So you are ruling out oil pump because there is no solid red light?

There are two other threads on this gen2 with similar issues:
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/12-generation-two/199942-oil-light-flashing-blinking-dimming.html
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/12-generation-two/188880-oil-light-flashing.html

Could it be ICU?

·
Administrator
3,596 Posts
So you are ruling out oil pump because there is no solid red light?

There are two other threads on this gen2 with similar issues:
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/12-generation-two/199942-oil-light-flashing-blinking-dimming.html
https://www.team-integra.net/forum/12-generation-two/188880-oil-light-flashing.html

Could it be ICU?
I don't believe you're understanding. Solid light or not, you have low oil pressure. The ONLY reason it's flickering is because the pressure is right around the threshold of it being completely on, or off.

The ignition control module does not control the sender unit.

***I would recommend removing the sending unit, and purchasing/renting an oil pressure gauge to read oil pressure. This will ultimately tell you what is going on with your oil pressure, instead of "guessing".***

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't believe you're understanding. Solid light or not, you have low oil pressure. The ONLY reason it's flickering is because the pressure is right around the threshold of it being completely on, or off.

The ignition control module does not control the sender unit.

***I would recommend removing the sending unit, and purchasing/renting an oil pressure gauge to read oil pressure. This will ultimately tell you what is going on with your oil pressure, instead of "guessing".***
Great - so why most of the time the light is very faint (or dim)?
So far only once its been bright red (but flickers).

·
Administrator
3,596 Posts
Great - so why most of the time the light is very faint (or dim)?
So far only once its been bright red (but flickers).
Flickering or dim....you're at the threshold of what is considered low oil pressure. I'm not too sure how many times I need to keep repeating myself.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree with jjkz24. There may be different ways the oil light can manifest itself. The important fact is that regardless of what the light does, there is a serious concern that you may have a low oil pressure inside the engine. Hence it is best to address it so that the light goes away completely. If you haven't already, please replace the oil sending unit ($9 part). Should take you 30 mins. If the problem persists, you may have a bigger issue (oil pump, failing bearings). Having an aftermarket oil pressure gauge is a plus. If you do get one, make sure its a quality unit and please don't install a mechanical oil gauge inside the car - only electrical. I suggest you get a digital gauge as it's easier to read. Driving around with oil light may potentially cause more internal damage if there is a problem with the oil pressure. However, if there is an oil pressure problem, the fact is, the engine will likely need to be rebuilt or replaced. Simply replacing the oil pump may not solve the problem since low oil pressure (unless caught and addressed right away in rare cases) will cause damage to rod and main bearings within seconds.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks @Built_not_bought and @jjkz24 . Both of you are on preventive side. I agree with it.

Oil pressure switch was already changed. I had mechanics look at it - but they did not have a pressure tester on them. Engine also feels pretty strong & powerful when driving & otherwise - there is also sign of pressure when you peak inside.

There is known electrical issues - one is the dash does not register AT gear changes well - eg Park gear takes a while to show in the dash meaning I can not remove the key from ignition. Other was posted earlier on seat belt. The car does not have the radio nor the rear speakers.

Have you had a chance to read the two links posted - they had similar issues and still put on 5k & 10k? Two of them never reported how they fixed it. One of them reported oil pressure is fine.

The issue is intermittent as with the two links I posted. So getting a gauge seems best bet now. What are the recommended PSIs I should see? Do you have a recommendation for a gauge and a place to buy?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts