Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the topic says, when my car is low on gas maybe 1/8th tank or so give or take some. My car is harder to start it takes longer for it to turn over. I haven't noticed any other variables just always when im lower on gas its harder to start. Tried doing a search couldnt figure out what exactally to search under so hopefully this will help out. Thanks ti.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep, I get the same thing, if I go too long, sometimes I wonder if I'm going to get it started one last time to get to the gas station, hehehe.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Funny thing, I ran my gas so low once, that when i parked, came out a couple hours later, my car wouldn't start, I was surprised i made it to the parking lot and couldnt start teh car AT ALL. hehe, luckily i have good friends who ran to the gas station for me, besides you should really stay away from running with the gas light on anyways, fuel starvation isn't too good.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
It's because the fuel pump has to work harder to get the gas since there isn't a lot there...don't let your tank go below 1/4th IMHO.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto Justin, well there have been times where ive let it get low enough to triger the light but thats not it its not THAT low. Like I said just some where around 1/8th tank, not quite near low enough to triger the light if I tried.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
JustinKlemgold on Mar/02/04 said:
It's because the fuel pump has to work harder to get the gas since there isn't a lot there...don't let your tank go below 1/4th IMHO.
doesn't the pump just pump the gas? the place where it suck up the gas should always filled with gasoline anyway, why would having less gas giving the pump a harder time to pump it?

I am thinking it can be of the deposit at the bottom of the tank, so it gets harder to start... i always fill my tank when the lights is on, and i have no problem to remote start it in the morning. I use PetroCanada (it has some engine cleaning stuff in it by default, and it does runs better) or Shell gas tho, maybe their gas is better? haha...

·
Registered
649 Posts
If your low on gas, when you click the key to the on position you can here the fuel pump going. Have it like 5 seconds to refill the lines and it will start right up.
I guess when your low on fuel the lines wash back into the tank? Low pressure on the tank side when the pump it not running?

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
JustinKlemgold on Mar/02/04 said:
Think gravity Eric...
How does the pump work? does it have a hose like this?
| or _|

What does the gravity have to do with the gas? If its sucking it upwards, then no matter if you have more gas or less gas, it would still sucks upwards, is not like gravity would be more if you have less gas... (or gravity pulls more if you have more gas, cos it sucks upwards anyway) in addition, the pump is always above the level of the tank, if the pump is at a lower level than the tank, yea then i understand why more gas would make the pump goes easier... :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
Gravity has nothing to do with it....think of the feather and bowling ball in a vaccuum experiment.

Pressure, baby, pressure. That's the key. As more empty space is introduced into the fuel tank, the fuel pump has to work harder to "create" enough pressure for the fuel to flow...

"The spice must flow."

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that with both of my old civic's and my integra. When i get to about the last 1/4 tank, the car "cranks" about 4 times before it starts. When the tank is above that, usualy 2 time and it starts. When it starts taking longer to start I know its time to get gas

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
With such a low amount of fuel it takes a little longer to pressurize the fuel system. When you get in to start your car in a situation like this, turn the key to the on position (just be for the starting position) and wait 5 seconds or so to let the fuel system pressurize. It should turn over like normal.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Hey Eric, have you ever seen the sending unit on an Integra? It does sit near the bottom of the tank, but it has a little filter on it, that sits horizontal on the bottom of the tank. It's all about pressure.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
And to help add a little more info to the thread, low gas is can be bad, but not b/c of "gunk" in the fuel tank (I've talked to a mechanic that sees the inside of fuel tanks often, and says that rarley is their any junk to speak of in gas tank, besides, the fuel pump sits on the bottom of the tank any way)

the real reason low fuel can be bad is b/c most fuel pumps actually rely on fuel as a lubrication. when you get low, that means less lubrication for the pump.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Another problem created with a low level of fuel is actually very obvious...Because the level is low, it has a FURTHER distance to travel! This simply takes longer.

But it does create wear on the engine/starter to make those extra turns while trying to start.

To continue that thought about low fuel being bad for multiple reasons:

Discussing this with a co-worker (who informed me of teh distance issue), he informed me that the Dodge pickup trucks use fuel as a COOLANT for the fuel pump! Which mean that when the level is too low, you are not cooling your pump, and risk over heating your FUEL PUMP! (I hope this is only a feauture on the diesels!)

But that isn't Integra related....so this isn't here.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
mine does this when near empty as well. <3 gal. i ran it to .4gal left, and it took maybe 5-6 cranks. i even tried priming the pump for a few seconds in the oN position.

my old hondas never did this, especially my last few DA's. the last one (1990) would crank on the first try like a new car, regardless of how low the gas was. i've even ran it bone dry (of course eventually it had problems cranking down to the last drop).

so i wonder if there is another factor involved. i put in new starter brushes, fuel filter, basic tune up items, etc. 95ls auto.

other than the OBD versions, from the tank to the block, DA's and DC's are practically identical afaik? from the fuel pump, steel fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel rail, into the fuel injectors, and into the combustion chambers, i don't see what could possibly be a factor between the two.. (let's skip the basic maintenence/motor condition suggestions since it seems all DC's do this unless someone mentions otherwise)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts