Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal is to run about 11-12 1/4 mile times on 1 bar. is this goal realistic with my planned setup?

b20 block
port n polish head, 3angle valve job
crower 62402T2 turbo cams
10.5 Ross pistons
eagle Rods
eagle blockguard
Rev hard stage 2 kit
AC race intake manifold
3inch exhaust

and lots and lots of TUNING

IM going to work with what i have, LS tranny, so IM looking for a powerband from about 4500~6500

Where can i improve on this setup??
Is this setup realistic for my goal?

CoNSTRUCTIVEcriticism is welcome

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
as long as you get rid of the block gaurd, and run slicks you will be high to mid 12's assuming your stock alxes can take it.
the port and polish head and valve job wont do too mcu for you, but the more boost you run the more it will help. the same goes for the cams. there is no turbo cam proven to be affective for street use.
if you have the money sleeve the block also, that way you can run more than 1 bar, and get into the 11s a lot easir

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Start practicing on reaction times and make sure that if you do not have an LSD, that you account for traction issues and torque steer. You've almost come to a point where it's not about the power anymore, but actually becomeing "one" with your car.

Repetition is the Mother of Learning.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
StyleTegGSR on Apr/06/04 said:
as long as you get rid of the block gaurd, and run slicks you will be high to mid 12's assuming your stock alxes can take it.
Can the b20 handle one bar on its stock sleeves? i didnt think so from what im read in the forums. and im deciding on getting a b20 so i wouldnt have to resleeve. i was thinking of boring out my ls to 84.5mm but according to MD, it would be much cheaper to get a b20 and get a blockguard, which would work equally as well. He was saying that to bore out a ls block it would cost upwards to $2000, in comparasion to a b20 with a blockguard ~ about $900

Quote: StyleTegGSR on Apr/06/04 the port and polish head and valve job wont do too mcu for you, but the more boost you run the more it will help. the same goes for the cams. there is no turbo cam proven to be affective for street use.
if you have the money sleeve the block also, that way you can run more than 1 bar, and get into the 11s a lot easir
port and polish?? not helping on a FI car? i would think the opposite, since the b20 and ls heads are basically the same, and both have poor head flow. correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Message posted by Rcurry14 on Apr/07/04 at 12:21pm said:
get the april issue of honda tuning. Look at the cover story
well i checked that out online
Quote: Honda tuning TeggY Time
This integra runs 11s on 15 psi and pump gas.
and thats all it says pretty much... so do you have that issue, what are some of its high points?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Look at Xratedac's LS. He's making over 400whp on a stock head, so obviously the P&P isn't necessary. I'd say spend that money on tuning as that is what's going to make or break your setup. Also as The Shodan suggested, learn to drive your car. Launching and control will be the two biggest factors in determining your ET.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i see that but xrdac is also running big boost like 23 er something. he was saying he wouldnt have to boost that high if he built the head. on that same thread a user named yimmy (on page 11 er 12 i think), runs 12 flat with only 13psi with a built head... which is alot lower than 20psi er so. now he didnt mention if he was running with slicks or not but hey 12 flat on 13 psi is quite an accomplishment

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here i found the post
yimmy on Feb/12/04 at 12:49pm said:
The head is 97b18b, P&P, 3 angle valve job, crower retainers, springs, oversized valves, web turbo cams .395 valve lift, 242 duration. I think thats it. I was reving to 8500 on my turbo Ls but never dynoed it to see if power was falling off.
Best the car ran was [email protected] at 13psi. Axles were my weakpoint. Check out webcamshafts.com The grind # is 115.
Quote: xrtdac on Feb/12/04 cool thanks for the info. thats a tight number for 13psi but Im sure that bad as head helped a ton on that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so because im going to run with stock sleeves and only a blockguard, i dont want to boost more than 1 bar. im really looking for times like yimmys around 12 sec with low boost, his at 13psi compared to 23 psi with a stock head

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not to be a jerk but why are you set on keeping your LS tranny?
The way you are doing this (imo) is way better than just cranking the boost up. GL on your project!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
evilempire on Apr/07/04 said:
Not to be a jerk but why are you set on keeping your LS tranny?
The way you are doing this (imo) is way better than just cranking the boost up. GL on your project!

mmm whats wrong with an LS tranny? im not understanding. xrtdac has an ls tranny and so do many other ppl. if your talking about my other auto tranny then i would understand but with this setup the 5speed is going to be swapped in.

Quote: DefiantGSR on Apr/07/04 golden eagle sleeves blocks for ~1,000 dollars...correct me im wrong.
So, with the money saved from not buying turbo cams, and a block guard...save up a bit more and you can sleeve your motor
thats a pretty good idea, but turbo cams are about 400 and a block guard is about $90-110. so about $700 for cams and blockguard thats with labor costs.

$1000plus machining would be upwards to atleast $1500 to resleeve not to mention labor.

so, even tho b20 cams are probaby not the first bottleneck in this setup, it would still yeild gains.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with the LS tranny but it sure isn't an ITR tranny with a good LSD. Check the articles about gearing and you'll see what I mean.

Its just another way to go faster without turning up the boost.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats very true, gearing has lots to do with performance. but u have to remember how your car is setup, u can have short gears like the itr but that may not be where your powerband is. its all about your engine package, and how you build your package around your tranny gearing. with powerbands from 4500-7000 rpm i would think the ls gears are better because on every upshift you would land about where your powerband begins.
in an ls transmission upshifts landing pionts from redline are:
1-2 gear- 4000rpm
2-34500
3-45000
4-55000
putting you right in the thick of your powerband

plus an ITR tranny is more money i have to spend.

·
Registered
346 Posts
GSR and ITR trannies are good matches for LS's too. True it's more money, but did you expect to go faster for free? With turbo it mostly comes down to traction and preference. It's your car!

·
Registered
338 Posts
An important FYI stock b20 sleeves do not handle boost what so ever. You will crack the sleeve in no time and spend more money in the future. I say save money where you can. Stick with the LS tranny DoNT build the head and concentrate on building the motor and get some slicks, axles, and some sort of adjustable shocks. Stock cams are just fine for boost. If you want 11's or 12's you will need traction and power.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts