Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions

1. I know that the RS pulls harder in lower gear then the GSR what is it that gives it that power.

2. What does a performance clutche really do.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The RS (B18B) has a lower rod ratio, which gives it slightly more displacement. This results in a stronger midrange than the GSR(B18C), at the sacrifice of high reving.

ROD RATIOS
B18B - 1.54:1
B18C1 - 1.58:1

Displacement (cc)
B18B - 1834
B18C - 1797

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what does that mean, so if i was going to swap out some new head from redline, and some new rods and piston getting it ready for turbo would any of those effect the low end power.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Stronger midrange? Really? Even with VTEC? And when you say midrange what RPMs are you talking about? I'd figure after about 5K, the GSR would take over...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
StyleTEG on Aug/21/02 said:
The RS (B18B) has a lower rod ratio, which gives it slightly more displacement. This results in a stronger midrange than the GSR(B18C), at the sacrifice of high reving.

ROD RATIOS
B18B - 1.54:1
B18C1 - 1.58:1

Displacement (cc)
B18B - 1834
B18C - 1797
Rod ratio doesn't affect displacement; bore and stroke do.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
doh, your right. I was thinking write but not typing write.

B18B has a longer stroke length (89mm vs 87.2) which gives it slightly more displacement.

The longer stroke contributes to the lower rod ratio (B18B rod 137mm, B18C 137.9mm).

So its the stroke that gives it more displacement, at the sacrifice of revability due to the lower rod ratio. Low rod ratios often translate into better low end torque.

Justin - Even with vtec the B18B supposidly has better low & midrange. I have yet to see an actual dyno of this myself, but supposidly the B18B creates more torque than the B18C up till 6,000 rpm. Since when racing, the B18C is going to be above 6,000rpm most of the time it really makes a difference in acceleration.

It seams to make sense in my mind, the low rod ratio, and higher displacement makes more low-mid torque for the B18B, but due to the inability to rev/breath higher than 6800rpm the B18C creates alot more HP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts