Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have given up on thoughts on what my problem could be, I seemed to have been plagued with wheel bearing problems for the past year. Originally my wheel bearng started to go out by making lots of grinding noise so I attempted the job my self with a hammer and a block of wood. It lasted a whole 2 weeks before the problem came back. I did it again and bought another wheel bearing from autozone instead of the web like last time, but this time I took the assembly off the car and took it to a machine shop and had them press the old out and press the new in. That lasted about a month and then I got a loud squeel like a brake problem so I jacked up the car to check out the brakes which seemed fine, but I did notice my wheel now had alot of play like a few MM up and down play.

So I went to a junkyard and found an old GSR, 1998 was the year and it only had 50k on the odometer. I thought surely at 50k the wheel bearing should still be intact so I took the whole assembly and swapped it to my car.

I took the car to get an alignment right afterwards and they tell me they cant line up the toe because the wheel has so much play. I couldnt believe it, but sure enough I went out to the garage and it had alot of play again. So my question is, when a wheel has play up and down, but zero side to side is this still a wheel bearing and I am plagued with the death of the wheel bearing or is there something maybe I forgot to tighten up by chance or something that may have worked its way loose?

·
Registered
254 Posts
any good shop should be able to tell u whether or not ur ball joints, wheel bearings, or tie rod ends are bad. take it to a GOOD alignment shop and have them look at it.
i believe this is how it goes though: get that wheel off the ground. put ur hands on the left and right side of the tire, if theres play its ur tie rod ends, top and bottom, if theres play, ball joints are bad, grab at top/right and bottom/left or top/left and bottom/right, if theres play there its ur wheel bearing. correct me if im wrong but im 99% sure that how it goes. when u check for play dont force it to move, just slightly push.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I took it to a alignment shop is when I found out is was bad. I didnt think to check for play when I put it on i figured it was ok since the car it came off wasnt to old or heavly used. oN another stroke of luck I stripped the threads on the end of my CV axle about 2 years ago doing a clutch instal and have since then forced the nut back on 3 more times. Now though, the threads are gone so if I take back part the front hub assembly I will need to replace my axle as well unless there is some way to rethread it. So I guess i am currently looking to buy drivers side hub assembly and driver's side axle hopefully by the weekend of picking some up ~

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a broken balljoint have anything to do with wheel play? I just installed my camber kit on the front right before I went and got an alignment so maybe my problem lies in the camber kit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.