Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished rebuilding trans- and I have 1/2/5/R. No 3/4.
What's weirder is it 5/R feel about where I'd expect 3/4 to be on the shifter (just slightly right of center...)

Background:
Basket case of a 94 RS.
Tranny is Si 1-4 + final drive. RS 5th.
Synchros, hub, sleeves aren't in great shape. Especially 2&3. (Didn't replace as the rebuild was more to prove I can before GS-R swapping when tranny or motor finally dies)
Bench Shifted into all gears before mating to motor.
Ebay short shifter.
Fresh bushings/seals everywhere.
Currently on 10w-30 in the trans for a short wear-in/problem solving before putting in amsoil MTF.

Anyone got any ideas here?

I'm gonna pull out the shims I out on the shifter and see if that helps. (had about 1/2" of slop there. 5th always felt a mile to the right and the damn thing rattled at rpm - figured I'd take the slop outta the mechanism).

Also gonna drain trans and reinstall shift fork retainers. But after that I'm at a loss here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update for anyone with similar struggles.
Pulled the detent for the 3/4 shift fork. Shifted into 3rd fine.
Put it back in and torqued to 11ft-lb (so one less than I had it from the tranny teardown guide)
Shifts into 3rd/4th about half the time I try it.

They're a little left of center so def need to adjust stuff. And probably find a way to shim the screw head or similar so it will still seal to crush washer while not pushing on the ball as much. (Could easily be generic crush washers that are thinner than brand new OEM ones from 30 years ago...)

Measured - confirmed washers too thin. Screws were grinding on forks and detents were chewing em up.
Added another bout a .030" crush washer and then shimmed the spring up the .030" I added. (If you're doing this at home for the love your tranny use something that cannot get out from under the spring and doesn't degrade in tranny oil and heat - you've been warned)

Shifts in n out of gears like neighbors type R.

For reference this is a 'B16 Si' tranny per previous owner with hardware mix n matched out of a donor RS tranny. So could also be a minor deviation in the detent screws between those trannies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know how this got to performance but...
Gapping detents made it shiftable.
Replacing torque mounts made it less crunchy (driver side had ripped 3/4 legs)
Replacing shift linkage pin halved the slop and made it a lot lss vague. (Like 2-3° at the shift linkage was ~5" of play at the shifter)
Still have some slop. (~2.5") of play... And the tranny shift shaft definitely moves a bit.... Wouldn't be surprised if internal shift change assembly is worn out a bit...
Bushings in the shift shaft u joint surprisingly have little to no play.

But it works, is liveable, and I told myself I'm not pulling the engine/trans again until it's vtec swap time... We'll see who's more stubborn - me or this abused b18b.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts