Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 1993 Honda Integra Si-vtec auto JDM spec, and I am having trouble starting it today.

Basically this morning I tried to start the car but when the key was turned to ignition and the motor started whirring it was abruptly cut off and killed.

Now whenever I try starting they car nothing happens, there is no noise whatsoever, no motor whirring, no clicking noises, not even the slight hum you usually get if the batter was dead.

At first I thought it was a dead battery, even though I replaced it last week, but I tried jumpstarting the car and didn't work.

I'm trying to troubleshoot whats wrong with it at this point, I'm a bit lost.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Starter maybe?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never replaced the starter, but I got it 3rd hand and have only had it for 6 months. It was only serviced last week as well.

No it doens't make the clicking sound of it starting up and dieing, just no noise.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
i been having the same problem but mine does a clicking sound then dies, I just have too jump start, it then it's fine, I'm guessing I need a new battery , I know auto zone does free test on battery ,and starters also

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Does it have power at least? I don't know how to jump start an automatic; manual yes. I've heard of ppl tapping on the starter with a malet to see if it'll start, but I wouldn't try it though.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
you probably mean push starting... and no that won't work on an automatic.

you can pull the starter out and bring it somewhere to get checked on a VAT. i know here in the U.S. a company called AutoZone does it for free. Its pretty easy to pull out. Its located on the tranny, right underneath where the throttle body is. 2 - 14mm bolts, and 2 wires, and its out. Rebuilt starters go for US$100 or so here... maybe cheaper in New Zealand its cheaper cuz you are closer to Japan!

other things to check are all the fuses and relays. see if anything else electric on the car is functioning properly. even if you got a new battery last week, if your alternator is not charging properly, it can cause a new battery to die. if thats the case, you need to get the alternator replaced. if you have a voltage meter, check the voltage at the battery. a good battery should be pretty close to 12VDC and anwhere between 13-14VDC when the car is running.

from what it sounds like, you have a bad starter. smacking it with a hammer can temporarily get it to turn over (the brushes on the motor, which are probably worn out, move and contact armature), but should still be replaced. can you hear the solenoid actuate on the starter?... it will be a clicking sound when you turn the key all the way forward.

good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice people,

No I can't heard the clicking sound so its not actuating then. It makes absolute no sound so I am sure now it is the starter.

Gotta figure out how to remove it now lol. I am a noob mechanic.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
before you pull it out... check the connections. the positive one should be fine, but the ground is a spade connector and may have fallen off or something.

i'd rather be hardly working than working hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts