Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 1994 acura integra. He says it has 140,000 miles on the motor and 205,000 on the body. It looks a little rough but not too bad, not alot of rust. Only some rust on the wheel wells. He's selling it for $1,325. Here is what the ad says "Got this car on trade. The goods, the body is mostly rust free. Engine is a 2.0l Dohc out of a 99 crv. Car runs strong, around 200hp. Good glass, all windows work. New front bumper w lip kit and halo headlights. New battery, new front brake pads, two sets of rims and tires. One is a snow set, one is 17" motegi w michelin pilots. Racing seats in front. Halo lights. Euro taillights.
*the bads
Needs brake master, has pedal but not much. All bleeders are already broke loose. Exhaust is rough,but has both converters and is pretty quiet yet. No radio in it. Front blinkers need work. Wiper transmission. So if interested, shoot me an offer. Car will sell to best offer, needs to go before snow". Any opinions or things to look for? thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
I'd be wary. Anyone who would do the brake job and not replace the BMC is sketchy. The BMC replacement isn't terribly expensive or hard. No idea what 'wiper transmission' means.

See if he's willing to limp it to Firestone for a pre-purchase inspection. They'll do it for free or $20, depending (make an appointment). Use the list of squawks to make your decision. If it needs anything more than a BMC, turn signal bulbs, and a radio, I'd walk away. If that's all it needs, I'd offer 900 and let him haggle up from there. The rust will be either very expensive or very tedious to remediate. The exhaust won't be bad, but won't be free, and a car with 140k on the motor should probably have the timing belt replaced soon, as a safety measure. The B20 motor will be reliable as long as it's taken care of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like this guy runs a shop or something close to it. In all the pictures he had it up on a lift. Also he said that the car is available to view anytime during regular business hours. Did some research on the wiper transmission and it's about $50 to replace. About the same price to replace the bmc too.

Here is the link to the posting so you can see the pictures https://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/5304706085.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I were you I'd stay away. Paint mismatch, rust, parts to replace, tires/wheels mismatched. There are plenty of other integra out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rust is pretty normal for cars here in wisconsin though. I think the mismatched paint has to do with the fact that someone put a body kit on it. this will be my first car so it doesn't need to be in real good shape. Ill see if I can find somewhere where I can get a pre purchase inspection done on it. Just found out the posting was put up by a trusted car service center in my area.

·
Registered
168 Posts
maybe i missed it, but i would definitely ask how he is figuring 200hp out of a b20 from a crv.
Unless it's built. 200hp? Nope.
Not even at the crank.
Not even at the rod.
Not even at the piston head.

I think you may be able to find a better teg for a little more money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads where everyone says not to do something but in the end the OP does the complete opposite
All integra owners do the exact opposite of what their friends tell them to do.
Like buy an Integra. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Any car you get for $1325 is going to have many things wrong with it. You could invest another $2000 fixing it up and you may still have hidden gremlins. When you consider the modifications to this car like the engine swap, body kit, interior, etc., they all can introduce problems.

I recommend you pay more for a car in stock condition. You may still need to make repairs, but these will be due to wear or age, not due to the mistakes of someone else.

$2500 for this example would be a decent deal and he might accept less:
Cars for Sale: 1999 Acura Integra GS Sedan in CHICAGO, IL 60641: Sedan Details - 407373762 - Autotrader

You could invest $2500 in that Frankenstein car and still not have a car this nice. Might be worth a phone call and 2.5 hour drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts