Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 5speed with 150k miles, body is in good shape, but I don’t know integras. He’s asking 3k for the car any thing I should pay attention to while looking at the car? What are the common things to look for so I dont get scammed ? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
As with any car, always ask about maintenance. For Integras in particular, ask about the timing belt and water pump and when they were last done. Check to see if it is modified and also try to get a feel for the previous owner. This doesn't apply in every situation, but if its modified, there is a chance the car could have been abused. Like i said, this isnt always the case, so try to get a feel for the owner. where are you located? If you're in the rust belt, look at the under carriage, strut towers and rear wheel arches in particular. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head at the moment, i'm sure someone else will chime in with something i'm forgetting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As with any car, always ask about maintenance. For Integras in particular, ask about the timing belt and water pump and when they were last done. Check to see if it is modified and also try to get a feel for the previous owner. This doesn't apply in every situation, but if its modified, there is a chance the car could have been abused. Like i said, this isnt always the case, so try to get a feel for the owner. where are you located? If you're in the rust belt, look at the under carriage, strut towers and rear wheel arches in particular. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head at the moment, i'm sure someone else will chime in with something i'm forgetting.
I ran a car-fax on it this morning, was involved in a front end collision but the owner is asking for $3000...

·
Registered
2 Posts
$3000 is a decent price for a good GSR. How does it look? How is the paint quality? Dents and scratches all add up.

As mentioned, pick the current owner's brain regarding "upgrades". A lot of GSR's have been modified, and sadly, there may have been several owners that may or may not know what they are doing with their hands in there. Look for the obvious signs of this like stickers, anti-sway bars (which help a lot), whether it's lowered, coil overs, high end tires, sub boxes or wiring for it, after market alarm, etc. Make sure all the gauges work, the CEL works, speedometer, odometer, etc.

Other things to look for - sun damage is common on the hood, roof, and hatch. Look at the nose piece and the front of each fender (common signs someone was heavy on the gas and not heavy enough on the brakes) and rear bumper for damage since that's super common on Integras. Those pieces can be expensive to replace if you are ordering them and they have to be shipped to you. Look at the inner door cards, it's super common that the driver's side will have loose material along the middle, just above where you'd put your elbow. Check the window controls, are they responsive, or work sporadically? Look at the windshield for bullseyes or cracks. Check the rims for curb rash. Drive it around and pay close attention to how it shifts and listen for additional noise when the clutch is out (which would indicate a bad pilot bearing or throw out bearing depending on when the noise occurs). How does it turn? Is it smooth or jumpy? Does it make additional noise when you're turning? That could indicate the need for new axles, or an issue with the power steering. Look at the engine for oil weeping down the block or on the bottom of the engine.

There's more, but that's expensive stuff to fix. Don't expect perfection, not for $3k. Oh, yeah, offer $2500 and go up from there. You'll likely save $200-300 that can be used to fix imperfections.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$3000 is a decent price for a good GSR. How does it look? How is the paint quality? Dents and scratches all add up.

As mentioned, pick the current owner's brain regarding "upgrades". A lot of GSR's have been modified, and sadly, there may have been several owners that may or may not know what they are doing with their hands in there. Look for the obvious signs of this like stickers, anti-sway bars (which help a lot), whether it's lowered, coil overs, high end tires, sub boxes or wiring for it, after market alarm, etc. Make sure all the gauges work, the CEL works, speedometer, odometer, etc.

Other things to look for - sun damage is common on the hood, roof, and hatch. Look at the nose piece and the front of each fender (common signs someone was heavy on the gas and not heavy enough on the brakes) and rear bumper for damage since that's super common on Integras. Those pieces can be expensive to replace if you are ordering them and they have to be shipped to you. Look at the inner door cards, it's super common that the driver's side will have loose material along the middle, just above where you'd put your elbow. Check the window controls, are they responsive, or work sporadically? Look at the windshield for bullseyes or cracks. Check the rims for curb rash. Drive it around and pay close attention to how it shifts and listen for additional noise when the clutch is out (which would indicate a bad pilot bearing or throw out bearing depending on when the noise occurs). How does it turn? Is it smooth or jumpy? Does it make additional noise when you're turning? That could indicate the need for new axles, or an issue with the power steering. Look at the engine for oil weeping down the block or on the bottom of the engine.

There's more, but that's expensive stuff to fix. Don't expect perfection, not for $3k. Oh, yeah, offer $2500 and go up from there. You'll likely save $200-300 that can be used to fix imperfections.

Good luck!
The one I was speaking about was involved in a front end collision at one point, which required hood pins to keep down. I am now looking at two located in the south east if I can pm you can you give me some assistance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The one I was speaking about was involved in a front end collision at one point, which required hood pins to keep down. I am now looking at two located in the south east if I can pm you can you give me some assistance?

Sure thing!

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts