Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty soon I gotta drive to carson city Nevada solo to hang with an old bud for a week. Why not fly? Well honestly I wanted to bring the new teg that I'll have in a few days with me and play around on the empty ass roads they got and have my own transportation. Anyway, i could take anywhere between 11-14 hours of highway driving to get there. Right now I'm debating whether its smart or safe to try it in once stretch with no one else in the car. I really dont feel like checking into a hotel, and I really dont feel like stopping at a rest stop to sleep. Since I've never had to take myself on a road trip i was wonderin if anyone had any tips on staying the hell awake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't try and do it all at once. I'm in the military and have done many cross-country trips on assignment moves. 8 hours or more by yourself and you are risking your life and the life of the teg. If you love your car, stop and sleep. I fell asleep at the wheel one time. Not fun. Waking up about a foot from the gaurdrail at 60 mph is not a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Stay focused on the road, drink lots of coffee or redbull (this drink works), and bring some bangin loud songs. Oh yea, be safe.....SLEEP IF YOU HAVE TO!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
yeah i got a long drive ahead in a couple weeks too, good ole road trip back down to college 1150 miles I have made the trip in one shot before, its brutal but if ya start early in the morning its not so bad. Personally i think its best to stop for a while and sleep the only time I made it that far is when I was driving with another buddy we both had radios so we could bullsh*t along the way helped to pass the time. Have fun nothin like a road trip in a Teg I love em.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the guy im seeing, me, and another friend are like 2nd grade buddies. So this other guy might come as well in his eclipse. Radios sounds like a good idea, having someone who has to be awake to talk to sounds like a good idea, thnx.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Dude just get like a good 12 hours of sleep beforehand, bring lots of good food and cooler full of drinks and alot of cd's. I drove all the way from Ma to florida in 22 hours just stopping for gas two times. So it is possible, but it's definatly a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
423 Posts
they make a world of difference trust me, we were able to probably push and extra 300 miles at least than if I would have gone alone or even with out the radios. Also stop and get sugar at gas stations, be it anything with caffene or what have you anything to keep alert. I am hoping to have my camera mount all set up for my road trip for some of the curvy stretches see how that comes out on tape :)

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I've done 8 hours straight. I had to givre the wheel to my bro after that. I love driving but I will not risk my life or the life of my family and/or friends. I suggest stopping at a rest stop at least if your not going to rent a hotel. Get a couple hours of sleep and head out. good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've driven across the US three times (alone) and each time I did 600 miles a day. I wouldn't recommend more than that. Provided you feel you can do it safely, my suggestions include: get an early start so you're not driving at night when you are tired (I usually started at 4:30 or 5 AM); make sure you've mapped out your route in advance; eat a light lunch so you don't fall asleep at the wheel; eat dinner after you've finished driving for the day; bring coffee or other caffeinated drinks or stop for them and stretch your legs when needed; make sure you have the music you need to give you energy; and, most important of all, make sure your car is ready for the trip. Check everything you can. Twelve hours of driving in one day is hard on it too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Since you've never done it dude you are goign to be surprised how long it is. Driving requires extreme concentration. We jsut do it so often and usually for such short periods that we never notice. If you try to do it make sure you stop and strech your legs ever 200 miles get out and walk around for 15 mins or so. This will make you feel a whole lot better and will also prevent you from possibly gettimg a blood clot in your leg from sitting so long.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok, i took this the wrong way at first... haha...

lol...i read that like 3 times before i realized what he meant!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Dude I drove 12 hours straight to Chicago from Maryland, and I also drove to miami Florida that took me about 19 hours. It's tireing as hell. If you going to drive that long distence you better get a lot of sleep and you better stop to rest.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hehehe i just drove from portland oregon to chicago. 32
hours i stopped 200 miles from my destination for 3 hours of sleep cause i didnt wanna show up a 5 am. 2000 miles. all alone in one long ass countinuos string. i think u can do it drink lots of coffee and if u get tired stop and walk for 10 minuites or so oh and eat lotsa energy pills i perfer yellow jackets.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I drove 14 hours to myrtle beach about a month ago with my girlfriend. It was like driving by myself because she slept basically the whole way. She couldn't drive because she can't drive a stick. Needless to say, she will learn by next summer.

Anyways, I suggest taking a bottle of water with you, then everytime you feel your eyes getting the least bit heavy, take a sip. Sounds dumb, but it worked wonders for me. Good luck. AND BE SAFE!!

Sidenote: on the way back, I had to pull over and sleep at a rest stop for three hours, I just couldn't do it anymore. I started seeing things on the road that weren't really there. If this happens to you, pull over as soon as possible. It's kind of scary...

·
Registered
423 Posts
yeah I leave next Thursday on my 1000 mile trip I am excited and finally got my camera mount set up so it should be fun :). I have made the drive a few times so its cake now good ole straight shot through UT then Vegas and into Arizona. Yeah only once have I had that seeing things like you said Justin but it was not cool lol I would agree pull over asap thats what I did once.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Justin, you're right about stopping if you start to hallucinate (sp?). I drove with my b/f from DC to LI, NY. We were there for dinner and then tried to drive back. First he started driving off the road. It took forever to convince him he was weaving HORRIBLY. Then he said "OK, you drive". Well at least I KNEW I didn't have it together. I kept driving over to the shoulder and even though I knew what I was doing, I couldn't keep the car straight.

Finally, we just stopped for about 4 hours sleep. Awful trip!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts