Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

anyone know the amount of drop that would still be street legal in the 50 states? (or 49 not counting california..). I'm basically thinking about dropping the car an inch, but don't want to get ticketed for being too low. I did look at the common topics and tried to search, but didn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I never heard of anyone getting a ticket for being too low. I've heard people get pulled over for loud exhaust and lights though. I think 1.75f and 1.5r is a good middle ground for lowering. Anyone have any other suggestions?

RPM

·
Registered
910 Posts
best way to do it is look at your own states laws and go from there. they measure from the headlights to the gound not the actualy ground clearance. but once you figure that out bust out a tape measure and find the right springs that work for you. im sure 1 inch will be fine even here in CA. there is an article here with spring/coilover drops in inches

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
spets on Feb/24/04 said:
I'm only thinking about doing a 1" drop from stock, lol. no need to be scraping my oil pan over the white lane divider stripes :)
im lowered over 2 inches and i dont scrape, im on 17's and am soon to be going to 18's.....and the roads around here SUCK ASS...

the only time i ever scrape is coming off of one hill in my country, it is a steep hill and at the base of it i scrape my front lip of my bumper if i go too fast.

1" is nothing, do some searching for images of different drops (please dont make a thread asking for pics, we have wayy too many already). you might be dissappointed by just 1", it depends on what you want really, but integras do have a huge stock wheel gap, for me, anything less than 2 inches just wouldnt do....

My drop:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It varies from state to state. Many are based on requirements for minimum headlight and license plate heights. And some states say that you can't alter your suspension at all, but there may be exceptions... For example, Colorado's suspension law basically says you can't cut/torch/alter your springs; they must be replaced with "heavy duty manufactured components". Also, if the car is too low, bouncing all over the place, or anything else that makes it unsafe, then you can get in trouble (including impounded on the spot) for that.

And for the love of god, get an alignment after changing the ride height... Negative camber isn't a big deal for street use, so you can go either way on the camber kit decision, but the toe MUST be corrected. Incorrect toe is unsafe and will also destroy tires.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Taken from [url="http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/indexes/XXI.html" said:
NH State Laws Database[/url]]
TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 266
EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Height, Length and Width
Section 266:9
266:9 Height of Motor Vehicle Body and Chassis. – No person shall change the height of, or alter a bumper of, a private passenger vehicle so that the height of any horizontal bumper falls below the minimum distance of 16 inches or above the maximum distance of 20 inches. No person shall change the height of, or alter a bumper of, any vehicle other than a private passenger vehicle so that the height of any horizontal bumper falls below the minimum distance of 16 inches or above the maximum distance of 30 inches. Measurement shall be made from the level ground to the bottom of the bumper with tires inflated to manufacturer's maximum air pressure. If a vehicle is not commonly manufactured with a rear bumper, measurement shall be made to the bottom edge of the chassis frame siderails. No motor vehicle that has been changed or altered so as to exceed the limitations of this section shall be driven on any way without the prior approval of the director. For the purpose of this section, in addition to the definition contained in RSA 259:81, the term "private passenger vehicle' shall mean a vehicle that has no provision for carrying a load other than a conventional trunk or the cargo area of a station wagon or similar type of vehicle.
Source. RSA 263:6-b. 1975, 176:1. 1979, 358:5, II. 1981, 146:1. 1985, 213:23. 1987, 404:14. 1994, 384:1, eff. June 9, 1994.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.