Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As dumb as it sounds, when i was waxing my car yesterday with meguiars liquid wax, i completly forgot to wipe the wax off of the roof and when i went out to my car this morning i noticed it so i wiped it off, but it dint really all come off, It almost looks like the car was wet then i tried to quickly wipe off the water with a rag, so its still kind of there...will this hurt my paint and will i be able to get it all off

Alex

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it dint really sit in the sun, it got dark about an hour after i finished then maybe it was out in the sun for about an hour this morning...is that 2 much sun and its not hot sun

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
It probably soaked up some condensation that you normally get in cooler morning temperatures. That would explain why it wouldn't come off completely. It wasn't dry enough. once it's dry again, it should come off no problem.

Sitting in the sun is a bad idea, although hopefully the spring time sun and temperatures probably won't do too much damage. I'm guessing it won't quite "bake" on as bad, like it would in the summer time.

Your biggest concern should be any dirt and dust that accumulates on it between the time you applied the wax and now.

If you buff it off and there's a little dust, you may end up in swirl city. That's why you should never wait too long to buff after you've waxed.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I don't know where the idea that if it sat in the sun you ruined your paint came from. The reason you wax in the shade is because the wax won't dry if the surface is hot. It doesn't hurt the paint at all. Wax doesn't really 'bake' on the surface. If anything then the sun would have melted it. How many of us have detailed our cars and then seen spots we missed even a couple days later because we didn't notice we hadn't buffed it all off? I did my wife's car last Friday and I noticed a spot on the bumper I missed even today when I was leaving the house. Its not going to hurt the paint unless you leave it on for months and months. Even then I don't think its going to hurt.

I have read where many people have left products on over night to see if it looks better. With things like sealants it actually has improved the appearance. With a wax I wouldn't guess that it would matter too much, but people have tried it before.

Speechless is right about the dust. That is really the only concern I have. If this had happened to me then I probably would have washed the car again and hoped that it would wipe off the wax left on the surface for me. That is safer than just dry buffing it off. Check for swirls and hopefully you got lucky this time.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jngrbrdman, thank you that really relieves me, i did manage to get all of the wax off the roof and i also noticed i forgot to wipe off the spoiler and under it..oops, but it all came off, I was pretty tired when i waxed it and i had to redo spots and i guess i forgot a couple

but it all came off so i am happy:D

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Jngrbrdman on Apr/23/04 said:
I don't know where the idea that if it sat in the sun you ruined your paint came from. The reason you wax in the shade is because the wax won't dry if the surface is hot. It doesn't hurt the paint at all. Wax doesn't really 'bake' on the surface. If anything then the sun would have melted it. How many of us have detailed our cars and then seen spots we missed even a couple days later because we didn't notice we hadn't buffed it all off? I did my wife's car last Friday and I noticed a spot on the bumper I missed even today when I was leaving the house. Its not going to hurt the paint unless you leave it on for months and months. Even then I don't think its going to hurt.

I have read where many people have left products on over night to see if it looks better. With things like sealants it actually has improved the appearance. With a wax I wouldn't guess that it would matter too much, but people have tried it before.

Speechless is right about the dust. That is really the only concern I have. If this had happened to me then I probably would have washed the car again and hoped that it would wipe off the wax left on the surface for me. That is safer than just dry buffing it off. Check for swirls and hopefully you got lucky this time.
I left wax spot on there for about 2 -3 month it does not hurt the paint, or clear coat

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I didn't figure it would. I mean, if nothing else then it should protect the paint even more. Its just a really really thick layer of wax on the car. It may not look pretty, but the surface would be very protected from the elements I guess. lol Wax won't bake on your car and become impossible to remove. It won't ever get harder than it is in the jar. Its just wax; not concrete. I don't think there is much to worry about at all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
what i would recomend is that you go to a touchless carwash and go threw there and see if that would take of the left over wax that is on there. I dont think it would be any harm you just left it on over night so it should come off. Good luck on it.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
integra_gsr_151 on Apr/23/04 said:
what i would recomend is that you go to a touchless carwash and go threw there and see if that would take of the left over wax that is on there. I dont think it would be any harm you just left it on over night so it should come off. Good luck on it.
Around here, we're not to big on the whole automated washes thing. We're die hard, do-it-yourself fans. lol.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol i work at a car wash, so ya i get free carwashes yet i never use them...only sometimes to have the interior cleaned

·
Registered
164 Posts
What is QD? I clayed and waxed about a week or two ago and yesturday I saw some wax left over on the left side of the car. I can only see it in the sun at the right angle. I dont get it, I buffed for like an hour and a half.

·
Super Moderator
14,193 Posts
No you wouldn't. However there is nothing wrong with replying to an old thread just ignore Nate. You're better off this way because you got your answer right away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts