Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking to somebody recently about going to the drag strip. he owned a newer trans-am (ws6 model), and he was telling me about some kind of switch he had installed in his car. He said that the switch keeps his timing retarded until he flips on the switch, then it puts his timing back to normal and the car takes off. what the hell is he talking about? would this be useful in a teg?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Was it turbocharged? I havent really heard about anything like this but I have seen something that rally cars do which is a switch they flip which messes with the timing so that the engine starts popping and backfiring at idle so as to keep the turbo spinning at boost while they wait to go. Probably not related, but its the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
quoted from an article:

"some people have found that using a switch activated retard aids in the launch. The theory is...by retarding timing 10 degrees during the launch,..it allows the driver to launch at a much higher rpm because you're reducing overall power...once you're hooked, release the switch and the timing will return to you're normal optimal setting thus giving you all the power you normally have. Because you're already hooked...you'll move out with much better authority."

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I think Hondata's launch control would be more useful. If you're making too much power to be able to hook up on a launch get better tires and/or don't mash the throttle so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts