Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last week, I quit my job in Malibu, CA and left for Boston. My goal was to leave Malibu, CA and make it to Boston, MA in 40 hours.

I left LA at 2PM and hit the 101S, and headed towards the 15 (Vegas). I then got on Route 40. I maintained about 110MPH until Flagstaff, AZ, where I proceeded to get pulled over for criminal speeding. The cop was awesome, and gave me a ticket for 91 (said that if I took a driving class AZ would drop the ticket). In any event, while maintaining 100+, my 01 GSR managed to get 31-32MPG. Very impressive.

After the ticket, it started snowing. I couldn't (safely) keep the car over 70MPH. It sucked. So I drove through the night. However, I had a sweet tail wind through eastern AZ--the GSR managed an amazing 38-39 MPG!

In the morning, I reached the Texas Pan Handle, pulled over for some Red Bull, and fueled up.

It rained the entire morning through Texas and Okalahoma. Route 40's concrete surface sucked; the rain just pooled on top of the road, causing my worn Dunlop SP5000s to ride on top of the water. It sucked pretty hard, but I managed to keep the car on the road (there were a few times where the car switched lanes without my permission).

The night of day two I reached Memphis, TN, the first city I saw since LA. It had finally stopped raining, so I brought the GSR back up to ~90MPH. The car was still performing amazingly, getting around 32-34MPG.

I was feeling pretty good (awake) until I hit southern Virginia, this is when I started hallucinating. It was interesting, I wasn't tired (thanks, Red Bull), but vines were growing on my dashboard, and the cars in front of me looks more like flaming pumpkins than the lame domestic sedans that they were.

So when the sun came up I was just east of DC. The weather (and the ticket) had prevented me from reaching Boston in 40 hours... so I made a new goal: 48 hours, but most importantly, without stopping! However, when I pulled over for gas in southern PA, I passed out for around 3 hours.

When I woke up I was totally confused: my radio was blasting, my windows were down, and my lights were on. Damn it, I had killed the battery! I was in a daze when I woke up, but I pulled myself together, and convinced a trucker to give me a jump.

The rest of the trip was smooth sailing. I cruised though PA and up to New England at a brisk 90ish. The car still managed 32+ mpg, even after 3000 miles.

When I arrived in Boston I had been in the car for around 49 hours.... but I failed--the trip took 9 hours too long and worst of all, I had fllen asleep.

Well, that's my story ! only in a GSR can you drive cross country at nearly triple digits, problem-free, for under $300!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
such a fun read... haha.... so 300 buckaroos one way huh? what about the way home? hopefully you'll manage to do better on your way back

·
Registered
68 Posts
wow, just wow...one word...insane

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I left New England for CA last year. This was my way back :)

Last year, I drove from Boston to Memphis (non stop) then Memphis to Malibu, CA non stop.

Road trips rule!

·
Registered
765 Posts
wow....I'm supprised no more tickets were issued.
But sweet story.

·
Registered
398 Posts
And I thought I was crazy... driving from NY to Wymoing in 39 Hours!!! Well man, propz to ya!!! Good Job!!! Now get some SLEEP!!!

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
roundle on Mar/04/04 said:
only in a GSR can you drive cross country at nearly triple digits, problem-free, for under $300!
hey, hey, give us other teg guys credit too, my LS might be able to haha

Great job. Be careful, maybe you need a co-driver. My friend was tired and crashed into a bridge going 80+. He totaled his new civic. He didn't have any injuries.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
My cousin is trying to convince me to drive from the Los Angeles area to Falls Church VA this summer... if you can do it in two days, I guess I might just plan this road trip. But I'll bring a trusted codriver to drive at night hehe. Maybe I can meet up with you East Coast Guys.

Geez you are a true hardcore driver.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Mar/05/04 said:
what's your odometer reading?
Yes, I am curious as well...

I remember driving 12 hours from South Carolina in my GSR last year on vacation...I know exactly what you mean by the hallucinating thing...I thought there were giant curbs thrown up in the middle of the road and I swerved a bit to miss them...got off at the next exit and told my girlfriend I couldn't do it anymore and slept a few hours...

Definitely not a smart thing to do.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
What was your avg speed?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
well, according to yahoo maps, if you take I-80/I-90 east, the distance is 3045 miles, which gives an avg speed of 62 miles per hour.

Since he went through texas and oklahoma, it's probably slightly different distance.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Thats freakin awsome, just becareful out there, and i was complaining about taking a 4 hour road trip for spring break, sad part is ill still be in the middle part of texas even after 4 hours.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts