Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 95 Teg GS-R with some suspension mods. I have H&R springs, ITR front and rear sway bars and KYB AGX shocks. The shocks are adjustable and have a setting of 1, 2, 3, and 4. My front ones are on 2 and my rear ones are on 1. What are these settings, from what I understand there is street and performance. If anyone could tell me what these settings mean and how to adjust them i would greatly appreciate. Plus, my car rides rather rough compared to my 78 F-150 LWB. Is this normal for a dropped sports car with a suspension like mine and Kumho ecsta supra 712 tires?

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
yup, it rides rough with aftermarket struts.

I have AGX shocks set to 2 all around for street driving, never felt 1 yet.
1 and 2 are the softer "street" settings

I have tried 3 and 4 on spirited runs in the mountains and there is a big difference in cornering compared to the #2 setting.

It's your preference on how you set your shocks.

Btw My shocks are mated with RSR Sus springs (close to the ITR spring rates)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Right now you have your shocks set on a setting that would be relatively more biased to understeer. Setting the rears higher than the fronts would shift the bias to oversteer (relatively). Is this good? Is this bad? We don't know. What do you want your car to do? Do you want it to be the most safe for daily driving or do you want to autocross? We need some more information.

By the way, I just read your thread about oversteer/understeer...I think you could learn a lot if you read the articles and searched the forums. There are lots of good resources on this site...so make sure you take advantage. After you read some of the suspension articles and those about oversteer/understeer...come back and ask more specific questions.

And please dont take offense to this...I just want to let you know how the site works. Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
95db8GSR on Feb/22/04 said:
try 1 in the front and 3 in the back
Why? Why would he do this? For performance? For safety? For a smooth ride?

You need to tell people not just what to do but also why...Don't just give him fish...teach him how to fish.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
are going for street drivablitiy and comfort? setting the shocks to 1 for daily driving would yeild a more comfortable ride when going over bumps. But you lose some performance.

I just went out right now and tested my shocks at 1. Sure it is soft and feels like a stock ride (some what) but it sure does like to dip when braking and sit when accelerating... yuck. Cornering is just sloppy.

I also conducted a small test, there is an industrial area near my house where I was able to drive hard and corner hard for this test.

When cornering, you are really shifting weight diagonally. Cornering to the right shifts weight to the left front tire , corner left and guess where the weight transfers to. When you exit the corner and start to accelerate then the weight goes backt o the rear.

Our cars are very heavy in the front and when you brake and enter a corner, that weight gets thrown on top of the front tires, on which tire depends on how you are cornering. You must also consider the unsprung weight in your car:

in this test, only I was the extra weight in the car so I tired turning the shock setting on the front left one settign higher than the rest. (why? Im sitting hear the left front wheel and that's about an extran 180lbs ont hat wheel) I placed the front driverside shock on 3 and did some hard cornering. My car held pretty well and felt a little more solid when making right hand turns. left hand turns felt the same.

I want to test out different settings at the track now... I wasn't able to push hard enough on the street. Or if any one would like to share their findings from their experiments, then even better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.