Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I revamped his suspension setup in his '96 GSR these past couple days. For shocks and springs we decided to go with Koni Reds and Skunk2 coilovers. Many people underestimate the ability of the Koni Reds, but they are an excellent shock. The adjustability of the Skunk2s and their very stiff spring rate, was why we opted for them.

We also dicthed the stock sway bars and bushings for a set of Suspension Techniques sway bars and bushings. The sway bars are 24.0mm up front and 19.0mm in the rear. The front stays the same as the stock GSR ones, but they bushings are all brand new and they feel great. The rear is bumped up 5.0mm and is a definate upgrade along with the new bushings in the rear.

All together, the whole installation process probably took 3 days, but we didn't work everyday. We did a little here and there when we could. The process wasn't that hard at all, but the new sway bars did involve some new holes that we needed to drill. But other than that, everything went very smooth.

The car is lowered about 1.5" and looks very good. The ride is a much improved one. The car handles so well now and there is very, very little body roll at all. The stiffness of the springs can really be felt when cornering hard and the rear's body roll has been almost eliminated due to the upgraded sway bar and stiff springs out back. The drive is really nice and I love it. Although a little bumpy at times, but you always have to sacrafice comfort for performance. The roads up in New England tend to be smooth and full of turns, so it should be fun to drive the new setup more and more.

The shocks and springs cost around $500, I don't know the exact figures and the sway bars ran us about $230. For about $800 total, the setup is amazing and a great upgrade is anyone is looking for a pretty cost effective suspension setup.

We plan to upgrade the tires soon which should really aid to the setup. I just wanted to let everyone know how it all felt and maybe give some people some ideas if they are looking. Any questions or comments, just ask.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Did you not opt for the Koni yellows because of price or did you just think that Koni reds were better for what you were trying to do?

·
Registered
150 Posts
i was thinking of doing the same thing{skunk2 ans koni reds} but i read that alot of poeple would not recommened this because of skunk2's high spring rate. Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IGUEZ2K4:
Price was a factor, yes. I know the Koni Yellows are an excellent shock. I plan to get them for my car. My brother doesn't do all the agressive driving that I do. He wanted a good street setup and we both think that we got that with the Koni Reds. Although the Yellows are adjustable, my brother decided that he really won't need to adjust them.

So the Reds worked out great for price and performance. Anything else, just ask.

b_rent:
The Reds have the option of being revalved for a higher spring rate, which we might opt for come summer time. I have friends that have the same setup and haven't had any problems. I do know a two people who have had problems with their shocks blowing out because they had Skunk2s on them and the spring rates were too high, but both people raced on that setup very often and always drove them hard. I think that if you are a hard, agressive driver that will be racing then the setup may not be for you because the shocks may not be able to handle the constant force that will be being applied to them. But for moderate street use, I believe the setup should be adequate enough and provide for some fun driving once in a while.

I'll let everyone know how it goes and any problems or anything that may come up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts