Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm ordering shocks off of shox.com
koni red are $308 and bilstiens are $379
which ones do you think are better for the price? if the bilstiens are worth it I dont mind paying the extra 70 bucks, also does Bilstein only make one set of shocks for the integra? thanks guys this is kinda urgent!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also i was just talking to the guy on shox.com, and he said they dont make bilstein sports for integras, only heavy duty's, and apparently heavy duty's arent meant for lowering?? can anyone fill me in on this

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
You might want to wait more than a few hours for a response on here, but anyways...
That is exactly what I have been told , Bilstien does not make Sport shocks for Integra's, they only make the heavy-duty. Wait, i just found out they do make Sports, but only for Type R's. I get the feeling from most of the major shock manufacturers (KYB, Koni, Bilstien) that they do not necessarily recommend thier shocks for lowering purposes, but this doesn't mean that they can't be used for lowering. I think they just say this to cover thier own asses in case you blow the shocks. Even the guy at Koni told me he wouldn't recommend any of thier shocks when I told him I wanted to lower my car 2-2.25 inches.
Keeping this in mind, I have heard some great things about the Bilstiens from very knowledgable people on this site, but I don't know of anyone who actually has them.You didn't mention what springs you are using and that has a big effect on what shock you need. A more aggressive spring will require a more aggressive shock. .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i plan on mathching them up with neuspeed sports, which are pretty conservative, koni yellows would be the best obviously but i dont have that kind of cash.. thats why it was between koni red and bilstein, i want to stay away from tokico or KYB, does anyone actually have bilsteins? cause that would help me out a lot.. i know i'm impatient wiht this thread but i need to order this stuff tomorrow! so bear wiht me please

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'd definatly go with the Bilstiens if it was between those two, I think most everyone on here will tell you the same. Bilstiens are widely considered the 'next best' to yellows.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IntegraGSR23 on Aug/06/02 said:
I have the Bilstein shocks and love them

I have Bilstein shocks with Comptech Sport springs
thats a relief then, the guy scared the hell outta me when he said they werent meant for lowering, i was like but... could TI be wrong?!?!?!?! haha what was i thinking eh, so i guess a lot of companies say that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have H&R Sport Springs w/ Bilstein HD shocks on my GSR.. i have had been more than please with this setup.. very pleased with the ride quality, not buncy at all, this setup is pretty darn close to the stock setup, but with the advantages of having a lower center gravity.. i bought them for the price.. ($365 Shipped from shocks.com).. i would of got the Koni Yellows but for that kinda cash i would as well as saved up a lil bit more and got me some Tiens..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'd go Eibach Prokit w/ Bilsteins. The Koni Reds are budget, while the Yellows are quite nice. I'd however probably go with Bilsteins over Konis.

·
Registered
84 Posts
tegspeed, why is it that you want to stay away from tokiko or kyb?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Wait, i just found out they do make Sports, but only for Type R's.
If this is the case, you can pick up some ITR LCA's (which are cheap) and use the Sports.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
on a side note, Bilstein's claims of 'self adjusting' are misleading. That claim refers to piston velocity. Meaning the hard the shock is compressed, the stiffer it is. If you read my articles on suspension, you will find that ALL shocks work that way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had both the Koni and Bilstein for my '98 GSR and I can comment on them.
Bilstein makes the HD for the LS/GSR and the sport for the type R.
The HDs are not meant to be used for lowering; there's good reason for that. They're taller than the factory shocks and give you less suspension travel. Lowering springs will leave you sitting on the bumpstops with those shocks. Cutting the bumpstops might not even be enough, unless you cut them almost all the way down. The HDs are way stiffer than stock on compression so they compensate for the decrease in suspension travel.
They're very smooth with either stock springs or Eibach pro kits. The pro kit handles better but you'll bottom out on moderate to large bumps and it'll be very uncomfortable.
The sports can be used on the LS/GSR if you get the type R rear lower control arms. IMHO the konis sports don't compare to the Bilstein sports if you want a stiff shock. They're the stiffest shocks I've ever had for my car. If you succeed in bottoming those out, you'll probably destroy the car. Like the Koni SS, they have adjustable spring perches and they look built like they belong on a truck. That's probably one reason why most BMW M3 owners go for them. They're stiff with the stock springs (GSR) and unbearable with Comptech sport springs for the street. Doing a 100mph feels like 50mph with those shocks, though.
My favorite is the Neuspeed Koni sports (yellows).
They're the best with Eibach pro kits or even H&R race for the street. You can make them soft on compression but hard on rebound for stiff springs. Adjusting them is the easiest of all the adjutable shocks I've seen.
They don't look as well-built as the bilsteins but they're just as strong. I bottomed mine out with practically no bumpstops, turned them to the stiffest setting (not recommended) and they still perform like new. I have them with Comptech sport springs right now.
That's a nice setup.

·
Registered
611 Posts
wow, I never knew Bilstein Sports were that hardcore. Makes me want some

1 - 14 of 14 Posts