Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay, they finally showed up! This proves finally that yes, the reds ARE ADJUSTABLE!. Install comin up friday at the earliest.

·
Registered
611 Posts
well, the reds automatically adjust to dampening situations, but that is kind of redundant, becaus every shock does that essentially, its kind of false advertising to say that they are adjustable
It says adjustable on the obx because they are INTERNALLY adjustable, as in the user can set the stiffness before they install it on the car. I'll bet your life on this.

edit:^^^^that last line is supposed to be a joke, no harm intended.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Very nice, I love when parts come for me =) My exhaust will be on tomorrow =) Let us know how the reds are when they are on the car. All I hear about is the yellows.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Good stuff man. Congrats on the upgrade. I don't know about everyone else but I'm tired of how many people say the reds aren't adjustable. Sheesh. (just venting.)

What springs are you going to pair them with?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
nice man..if you need help installing them i can come down there in about 30 min.. im up here in martinsburg,wv

·
Registered
611 Posts
The reds are more aggressive than the gr2's as in they can handle Neuspeed or H&R race springs when they are adjusted to full stiff, whereas the gr2's will prematurely fail, not only because of the less aggressive unadjustable valving, but also because they are not meant to handle cars lowered excessively.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I found this...

To adjust them, you set the piston rod thing (err my vocab is bad) into a vice or have your friend hold it tight. You then compress it all the way into the shock, and while keeping it compressed, twist the piston all the way to the left till it stops...this is the sofest setting. Each half turn (180 degrees) to the right from that spot will increase the stiffness. You can twist 5 complete half turns (900 degrees to the right from the sofest setting) before you reach the stiffest setting.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
I e-mailed Gordon @ Koni, this is his reply about Koni Red (Special).

I asked him that if i am to get Neuspeed Sport on a Gen3, what setting on the Red would gives the better comfort.

Benson said:
The Koni Specials will work for your car but I would recommend setting them about a half turn firmer up front and 3/4 of a turn in the rear. At full soft, the car will not feel great as the car will feel very underdamped (think 70s Cadillac float). The firmer spring rates, especially in the back, will always make the car ride firmer than what the factory setup did but better dampers will make it closer to that for ride comfort. Thanks for writing.

Quote: Benson, Gordon - further reply You need to firm the rear shocks up some so the car doesn’t feel too soft. You have to have the damping adjustment set to the springs you’re using AS WELL as setting it to a point that will work with the springs you have. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
aznguyen316 on Mar/31/04 said:
I found this...

To adjust them, you set the piston rod thing (err my vocab is bad) into a vice or have your friend hold it tight. You then compress it all the way into the shock, and while keeping it compressed, twist the piston all the way to the left till it stops...this is the sofest setting. Each half turn (180 degrees) to the right from that spot will increase the stiffness. You can twist 5 complete half turns (900 degrees to the right from the sofest setting) before you reach the stiffest setting.
Ahhh... That explains why people say they are only adjustable when off the car. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
thats interesting... why didn't they just put a valve adjustment in the rod like teins or zeals... i suppose they didn't want to hollow out the shock piston rod or something and possibly sacrafice strength? nice to see you got some new parts... thats always a fun thing to open.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Nice.

For anyone who doubts Koni Reds, I know Greg on here has been using them for a couple of years at least with Neuspeed Race springs and has said they were great. He didn't even have them set to full stiff. I have been debating seemingly forever as to what shocks to get, and the more I look at it, and the more I think about what I will use my car for, the more Koni Reds appeal to me.

PapaDizzle, where did you pick those up from and how much were they if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Mike, I picked up my Koni Reds off SHOX.COM for $308.00 shipped. I don't know if they still have that deal...but the ordering process was easy and they were shipped pretty quickly too.

I have them on 4/5 stiffnesss (one half turn from the stiffest setting) with H&R sport springs and the ride is firm but still comfortable.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts