Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the reds get here on wednsday, so now I want to make sure they last. My car is currently dropped about 3" or so. I don't want these blowing too, so does anyone know the max drop that would be safe for them? And since they are adjustable while not on the car at first, could I set them to handle the current drop I have?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have koni reds on my car and I was wondering if they were adjustable...I bought the car with thm on it and I don't have a key or anything. I have a 1.5 inch and fast spings and it hits really hard..i think it could be the springs though or the shocks are set at the hardest setting....How can you tell if they are adjustable????

Thanks
p.s. I know I really didn't answer your question but I haven't found anyone with these shocks....Sorry

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You want a 3" drop. The person wanted a 2.5" drop. Greg says raise the height a half-inch, therefore, he's saying 2" is the lowest you should go on reds. You might want to post your spring rates.

As for the 4th sentence you wrote in the first post, I'm not familiar with the shock. You say koni reds are adjustable? In what manner?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been looking around on it and its showing me Koni red adjustables. But its like they are a one time adjustment or somthing.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
koni reds arent adjustable.. i think its a one time deal. 3 inches is way too much for the reds. you need yellows. koni oranges will also work (mn joke. check mn forums.)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Koni Reds ARE adjustable...jeez people..please don't guess on here.

They can only be adjusted when they are off the car..i.e before you install them. I'll get into more detail when I get back to my computer (on a friends laptop right now..grr I hate these little keyboards!)

To answer the question...without the spring rates it is going to be hard to tell (how do you even know they are a 3" drop if you don't know the spring?)...but generally speaking, no Koni Reds will not be able to handle a 3 inch drop.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have Koni reds with H&R sport springs.

Koni reds (^^^) ARE adjustable.

To adjust them, you set the piston rod thing (err my vocab is bad) into a vice or have your friend hold it tight. You then compress it all the way into the shock, and while keeping it compressed, twist the piston all the way to the left till it stops...this is the sofest setting. Each half turn (180 degrees) to the right from that spot will increase the stiffness. You can twist 5 complete half turns (900 degrees to the right from the sofest setting) before you reach the stiffest setting.

My shocks are at 4 half turns to the right (1 half turn softer than the most stiff setting and 4 half turns stiffer than the most soft setting) and I like the way the car rides a lot. Sorta wishing I bought H&R Race springs...but the sports are more practicle.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Are these koni reds adjustable when already on the car....is there a one shot adjustment or can i take the shocks off the car now and adjust them even though they have been used and or possibly set already? Does this adjustment work for front and rear?

thanks

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
aintegra01 on Mar/29/04 said:
Are these koni reds adjustable when already on the car....is there a one shot adjustment or can i take the shocks off the car now and adjust them even though they have been used and or possibly set already? Does this adjustment work for front and rear?

thanks

Quote: Ken_Masters on Mar/28/04 They can only be adjusted when they are off the car..i.e before you install them.
You can adjust them, but then again, i think you will have to disassemble the whole shock assembly so you can compress the shock alone...

Hey i never know Reds are adjustible... maybe i will consider them on my next setup!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The misinformation has been corrected, this thread is clean now!

For the record, I wouldn't dream of dropping below 2" on any off-the-shelf shock. There is also no point with stock control arms, since dropping that low changes the whole suspension geometry.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im using dropzone coilovers which can handle 0-4" drop. I'm not that suspension savvy so really I just was looking for how much drop the shocks can handle. Im going to raise the car to a 2" drop

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
If you stay at 2inches you should be fine. If you want even more comfort go to 1.5-1.7 drop. When you go 2.5 or more your killing your ride comfort, axles break. MorningZ had that problem when he was lowered 3in.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I'm trying to kill as much of that wheel gap as possible. 2" seems right around where I want to be and still have a good ride. I can adjust the coilovers if I decide I want a lesser drop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts