Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of KMS Engine Performance? A friend of mine told me about them and that I should get their valvetrain, but I have never heard of them. I was thinking about getting REV valvetrain, but he said that KMS was cheaper and just as good, if not better. Please give me your input if possible, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have gotten a bunch of parts off of KMS, the are a great company, they ship fast and all their parts are quality made. Their block guards are the ****, but you can check them out on ebay if you would like, i deal with them a lot on there.....I highly recommend them. KMS Engineering

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M_Shaffie on Feb/14/06 said:
why not go with someone who has proven themselves? on the high end: Mugen, Spoon, Jun, and Toda. Alternatives like Skunk2, Buddy Club, and Omnipower, etc. Or the tried and true OEM Type R. in my opinion save up a little more and go with something you know will be good quality.

sorry, if i can save a little money here and there, then i can use it in other areas. i dont just buy on the spot, i like to find the best parts for the best price. i know people have used KMS but I, myself, have not heard of them. Im not trying to go over my budget with Toda, Spoon, Mugen, etc, thats why i asked this question. if i have the funds like you may seem to have, then i would go buy those other companies valvetrain. i wish i could. but i need to build a block, suspension, head, rims, a ton of stuff.

Quote: juce on Feb/14/06 looks like hes non-vtec though
i have a vtec head that i am building.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I was informed by a member here that KMS isn't exactly one of the better engine builders out there.

I've never dealt with them but there are multiple reports on the internet and not by the same people or group in one location or competitor shop.

I think if they want to save their reputation, they should address the charges laid on them publicly.

As I said, I have no firsthand knowledge and this is hearsay but it is out there and people as customers should be aware.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you heard of REV valvetrain MD? if so, anything good about them?

ok so its his engine building......do you think his complete valvetrain for the b-series is worth the $599?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well ill be using stock GSR cams and gears, unless you recommend otherwise....im kind of on a budget. i would like to get cams, but i want to build the head and the block as well, so thats why money is tight. i was thinking about doing the valvetrain, then block, and then later cams if i need to.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
use stock valvesprings.

the race springs he has are for bigger cams and would be too stiff for your stock cams. in fact, they would cause more problems if you go to a too stiff a spring for the cam, just like there would be problems (all be it more severe) if you went not stiff enough on an aftermarket cam.

you want the right spring for the cam, not too stiff causing wear and not too loose to cause valve float or coil binding.

whoever is selling parts to you should be asking what cams the springs are for and advising you properly...no ethical person would sell aftermarket overly stiff springs to a stock cam owner.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
now you're just throwing parts & money at the car without thinking or planning.

if your IM and head don't flow to 9500 rpm why do you all of the sudden have this urge to rev to 9500?

if you have a 9500 rpm shift point, your powerband would start at 6800-7000 rpm for most of the gears.

you then would have to get an intake/IM with a resonance spike around 6800 rpm and also flow enough to 9000 rpm to make your peak hp goal.

a Sk2 stage 2 cam has a 9000-9500 rpm limit and that powerband but then you have to get a CR big enough to match the cam.

why you guys don't become goal oriented when you plan is beyond me.

I guess it must be simpler to throw money at the car and hope it works only to realize that you screwed up and throw even more money at it to fix the screw up.

I don't get it.

it's an easy concept. We told you in the "I have a Teg. I want More Power. Help Me." thread but again, you don't want to read it.

Your loss. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

BTW the cam tells you what springs to get. You're doing it ass backwards. You don't get the springs and then hope that it's good enough for the cam. There's certain things that dictate what spring you use:eek:pening pressure, closing pressure, coil bind at max lift.

Since each cam has a different max lift, the coil bind lift for a spring has to exceed that max lift.

if KMS says their springs are good to 10K rpm well what is that related to: a cam with 11.7 mm lift or a cam with 12.5 mm lift?

do you see where it's misleading you?

get the cams that you need and then find the springs that you need for it...don't get the springs first or you end up getting the wrong one and your piston will smack a valve and your engine is toast.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes i understand.....i tried reading some of the threads on here about valvetrain, but i dont understand some of it.

I am turbo'd now, and i have an LS that only goes to 6900 redline. the turbo i have is a little larger and spools later. i will probably getting a little smaller turbo or maybe ball bearing, but i would also like to increase the redline so i can have more of a power range to work with. thats why i would like to increase the redline. i have a gsr head that i will be building.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.