Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to remove some random paint drops from my hood yesterday but ended up doing something very stupid. Clay wasn't doing anything so I tried using some nail polish remover but I didnt do my research. Later, I found out that it's very bad for the clearcoat. ACEToNE = VERY VERY BAD! I did get the stupid paint drops off though!

Now I have 4 or 5 quarter sized spots on my hood that appear to be having some clearcoat failure of course. It's so bad looking. Any idea how much it'd cost to repaint the hood? i dont want my car ending up looking like those nasty clearcoat failure cars. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Ugh...might as well get a carbon fiber one at that price. Might even be able to just buy a new oem one. That's the last time I do anything without throughly researching on TI.

Yeah, i dont know why i didnt think about a paint cleaner. Are they really that good for removing foreign paint spots? Anything I can use to cover up the nasty faded spots?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha. most of the opinions on this board do not like carbon fiber hoods on black cars. i think it looks a little off. that doesnt help me keepin the car look sleeper.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
What exactly do the spots look like? Have you tried an aggressive paint cleaner to see if it might just be the very top layer of clear that has been damaged?

Clearcoat really can not be blended well at all, so having that area sanded down then recleared is going to look pretty strange even if done correctly.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
well you could get the carbon fiber hood and then get it painted by a friend or someone that knows what their doing. then you will be getting a weight savings, sleeper look, and ridding yourself of your earlier mistake all in one step.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
good job, i did the same thing to my car but i did it on the top of the car by the moonroof, and now the whole top looks like if i took off the whole clear coat no shine or brightness at all, but getting my car painted soon though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oooh. the thoughts of upgrading is making me all tingly...especially my credit card. just recently got the comptech sway bar and gonna get the icebox today. hmm...is there a market for used hoods if i do plan to sell it?

what paint cleaners do you guys recommend? "Mothers or a Scratch X. 3mFinesse it."? What is 3mfinesse? I'll try pepboys i guess. I'll take some pics of the damage tonight.i know it looks nasty but do you guys think i could get away with just leaving it nasty or does the clear coat failure spread?

my dad does have a friend that owns a shop and he painted the car once before when it was rear ended. he did a pretty good job so maybe i can get a good deal there. i guess if i got a CF hood it'd make it less appealing to get a JDM front conv in the future. any idea how much it'd run to get a CF oem style hood + paint it black?

thanks for the quick responses guys.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, we were talking about painting it black so it wouldn't look CF. i'm just trying to keep it sleeper while im at college. it's not the best area to park an integra.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The clearcoat failure won't spread if its just from the acetone.

I would start off with something mild, Meguiars has Fine, Medium, and Heavy cut cleaners that are easy to find. (brown bottle).

3M Finesse it - I & II would also be good to try.

I think pepboys carries all of these products. I would pick up Meguiars Medium Cut Cleaner, and 3M Finesse it - II. Is it just dull? or do you see cracking/peeling?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's like a dull color. it looks like i took a brillo pad to the paint. no cracking visable. it feels smooth..but would the cleaners really make it darker looking? what exactly would the cleaner do to the acetone spots? i guess if it doesnt spread i can live with it until i win the lotto and get a jdm or s14 conv. hah. thanks for the recommendations.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Im with you modat. You def need rims if you are going to put a cf hood

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
It could have just damaged the top layer of the clear. What the cleaners would do is remove that top layer and expose the healthy paint underneith.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ahh, let's hope it's just the top layer. i did kinda scrub at the paint tryin to get the paint drops off.

could you even tell a hood was CF if it were painted to match the car? at least from just passing by? hmm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most of my clear coat is dead too on the originals parts of my car (my car has been banged up three times, none of which have even remotely been my fault). Ive noticed some peeling/flaking of the clear coat around the black strips on the side of the car (the name for them isnt registering and its irritating me!) I think it was a combo of the original owner not telling the dealer (and therefor not telling me) that she had parts of the car cheaply re-painted and the fact that I used dish washer soap to was my car for a long time, which I just recently learned destroys a clear coat. But at least I know what not to do now. Ive become anal about my cars looks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah, i did ask but didnt do too research on the responses i got. i was recommended clay...that didnt do anything to the paint drops. and i was also recommended acetone...i heard some people were able to use it without damaging the paint but then further investigation after it was too late was telling me it was VERY VERY BAD. I guess I learned my lesson.

could the paint cleaners make the spots possibly worse? just wondering.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts