Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you guys think of this (pix from honda-tech.com)K20 on the 99-00 civic:
Hasport new project:

Would you guys or gals consider this on our teg. Time will come and the B-series will be gone and K20 will be cheaper.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Thats like saying the Chevy 350 will be obsolete. Both are great motors and I think this has been covered before. There are some kits that you can make the K20 fit in a teg/civic.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
meconfu5ed on Feb/06/04 said:
I don't see that as ever being worth it or practical.
I think it will be practical in the future, once it will be hard to find a b series engine and K series is the only option.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
agreed

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Art, what cars do the B-series come in compared to the ones the K-series does? Something to think about.

Hmm...Didn't we already have a K vs B-series thread before?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 350 and blocks based off it are still in production however, where the B-series is not. There are no new B-series cars anymore. And the K has nothing in common with it. The first B-series was what...1989? The first 350 was the late 1960s, and it continues today. So it's not really correct to compare the two engines.

And Honda is not really the type to bring back an engine once they're done with it. Eventually the three popular Hondas (for modding), the DC, EK, and EG will be old fashioned. Hard to believe but it's true. Now, people are of course still going to be working on these cars for awhile, but there is a cap on the number of engines that can economically be put into these chassis (the B series).

However, the B-series also has a gigantic aftermarket and tuner support. At the moment, a K-series swap into a B-series car is not economical in the least. To be economical the K-series is going to have to develop its own potential, with its own aftermarket support. So the real question is, will the K-series become economical in time for tuners to still care about putting them into the "old" B-series cars?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
The filter is on the left, the turbo is at the back, the intake is at the front! AHHHH!!! My brain!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
one thing that will definitely slow down the potential of the k series motor is getting around the ecu when it comes time that a tuner would have to get into that area. Honda made the k series ecu a little more advanced of course to stay ahead in the market and the problem is that tuners are realizing that the ecu's are complex at the moment. I believe there are companies that jumped into ecu tuning, 1 being Hondata, the other I can't remember.
Don't get me wrong the aftermarket for the k series motor in terms of simple bolt-ons picked up quickly. And when I say bolt-ons that goes for FI as well, cause let's face it if you know your way around a engine you can put a simple set-up in your car over the course of a weekend. But when it's time to seriously tune a k-motor the pace is slow. In time it will pick up.
Oh and as for the b series dying out I seriously doubt that b/c companies like Dart are starting to build B18C crate motors. And besides that aftermarket want allow that motor to die b/c of the money being made. It's the easiest motor to tune and mod.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
if b-series demand stays high enough, it'll stay around just like the SBC. and as a note, the new 350 blocks aren't the same as they've always been... they've changed substancially over the years.

so if demands stays high enough, you'll see more aftermarket companies making their own b-series blocks, like the dart. just like the SBC.

muscle car SBC's are kept alive by 3rd party vendors making oem-equpvalent old 350 blocks. not b/c chevy still puts 350's into things. the same could hold true for b-series.

i'd doubt it, though, since the prices are held so artificially high for import hot rodders... it's a seller's market with imports. that, and when something new comes along, everybody wants to change, because of all the hype associated with it.. since ricers love to spend tons of cash for hype.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
That would be a cool swap but I know B series motors pretty well and they have proven themselves to be strong motors... The k20s havent been around as long as the B series motors so who knows how well they do under high mileage.

My friends B18C1 had 450,000 miles on it and had been raced and it was still running strong!

·
Registered
77 Posts
they will never stop making b series motors they would be stupid if they did because there will always be a market for them and i myself would take a B over a K any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
94JSpecGsR on Feb/08/04 said:
they will never stop making b series motors they would be stupid if they did because there will always be a market for them and i myself would take a B over a K any day of the week.
Hello??? I think people seem to forget that the last of the B SERIES MOTOR WAS MADE IN the 2001 models!!!!!!! K series swaps seem to be the new thing now.

What most people are mainly getting now is used motors from japan. Unless its a crate motor or a rebuilt.

Oh yeah forgot about dealership.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If the need arises I will buy motors from honda. They still make the motors. They just dont put them in car. How else would u goto the dealership and buy a GSR head. Of course its expensive. Like 1700 just for a complete bare gsr head. But you can get one if you have the money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
TurboLSVtecTeg on Feb/08/04 said:
If the need arises I will buy motors from honda. They still make the motors. They just dont put them in car. How else would u goto the dealership and buy a GSR head. Of course its expensive. Like 1700 just for a complete bare gsr head. But you can get one if you have the money.
Are you sure about that? I was told by the dealership round my town that I could get a fully assembled type r head for $1800.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
honda is more than likely NOT producing any more b-series parts. this is also indicated by the oil filter change--the old filter was introduced with the old motors, and only hung on as long as the b-series did. throw away the b-series, and it's time to retrofit them with newer filters.

the "new" part you'd order from honda are left-overs from the assembly lines. when cars are produced, there's lots and lots of "spare" parts they make just for reasons like these--when the motor's no longer produced, there's enough replacement parts to keep the people running long enough to be happy.

hell, even delorean motor company still has numerous OEM parts in warehouses, but they haven't produced any parts since the late 80's. you can even still buy "brand new" mid-80's deloreans from their website.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts