Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overpaid for a 1997 Integra GS-R about a month ago, mostly stock except for a Yonaka catback and coilovers. It's at 175k miles right now.

Right now I'm working on restoring it aesthetically. So getting the interior back to looking like new, removing any surface rust, restoring headlights, etc.

The motor runs fine as is. Timing belt was changed at 160k miles, and has been maintained well for the most part.

I have another car, an automatic econobox that I'll be running when the Integra is out of commission or for work. So the Integra is my project car, but I'll be driving it a lot.

Originally I thought I could just save up to K-Swap by this time next year, though being as high mileage as the car is, I'm wondering if that's a worthwhile move. The chassis itself is in great condition, surface rust on the hatch and door panels which I'm removing, and respraying and I'm in Florida so I won't be getting snow (or salt) (the reason the car has rust to begin with is because it was originally from connecticut.)

If not a K-Swap, I'm also considering rebuilding the B18 motor that's already in it. Would that increase it's lifespan considerably? Would I be better off just finding a low mileage B18C Motor? Easier said than done considering how expensive they're getting.

Another option that was presented to me is buying and shipping a low mileage shell for $1,800 and reshelling with the parts on the Integra I already own?

I don't know man. Am I overthinking this whole thing? What route do you think I'm best going? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Obviously, it depends on what your end goals are, but I'd say you could re-build it for a lot less than a K-swap. (There are lots of videos online that show the "all in" costs for a K-swap and it isn't cheap.) And that doesn't include re-building the K. If you plan to go all out and build a 500hp B18, you're also going to spend a lot. If this is what you want, many times you can find a better deal from someone that already spent a lot of cash. For example if you want to rebuild your head with all the good stuff, make a list and add everything up. Chances are you can find one already done cheaper.

Anyway my vote is to keep your B18C. (They are getting rare!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Overpaid for a 1997 Integra GS-R about a month ago, mostly stock except for a Yonaka catback and coilovers. It's at 175k miles right now.

Right now I'm working on restoring it aesthetically. So getting the interior back to looking like new, removing any surface rust, restoring headlights, etc.

The motor runs fine as is. Timing belt was changed at 160k miles, and has been maintained well for the most part.

I have another car, an automatic econobox that I'll be running when the Integra is out of commission or for work. So the Integra is my project car, but I'll be driving it a lot.

Originally I thought I could just save up to K-Swap by this time next year, though being as high mileage as the car is, I'm wondering if that's a worthwhile move. The chassis itself is in great condition, surface rust on the hatch and door panels which I'm removing, and respraying and I'm in Florida so I won't be getting snow (or salt) (the reason the car has rust to begin with is because it was originally from connecticut.)

If not a K-Swap, I'm also considering rebuilding the B18 motor that's already in it. Would that increase it's lifespan considerably? Would I be better off just finding a low mileage B18C Motor? Easier said than done considering how expensive they're getting.

Another option that was presented to me is buying and shipping a low mileage shell for $1,800 and reshelling with the parts on the Integra I already own?

I don't know man. Am I overthinking this whole thing? What route do you think I'm best going? Thanks in advance.
Honestly, I’m in the same boat. Right now, I have B18B1 non VTEC, with 262,000km on it. Depends what your building for though. K-Swaps can get expensive pretty fast. Personally, I’d consider a B18C1, H22, or rebuild and do some upgrades. Rebuilds give a little bit more lifespan but if your into the upgrades, I’d go with something that has more capability of pushing more power or has more power stock. I’m from Alberta, Canada. And B18C’s here go for anywhere around $4500-$7000 CAD. I don’t overly know the price if you were to try and import it into the states, but might be cheaper in the end. Previous reply also has some amazing points.

My vote goes to the B18C. It’s totally worth it in the end and might bring your car value up a little bit. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, I’m in the same boat. Right now, I have B18B1 non VTEC, with 262,000km on it. Depends what your building for though. K-Swaps can get expensive pretty fast. Personally, I’d consider a B18C1, H22, or rebuild and do some upgrades. Rebuilds give a little bit more lifespan but if your into the upgrades, I’d go with something that has more capability of pushing more power or has more power stock. I’m from Alberta, Canada. And B18C’s here go for anywhere around $4500-$7000 CAD. I don’t overly know the price if you were to try and import it into the states, but might be cheaper in the end. Previous reply also has some amazing points.

My vote goes to the B18C. It’s totally worth it in the end and might bring your car value up a little bit. :)
Yup, going B18c1. Running a compression test on Thursday, along with an interior overhaul. If it's healthy, I'll run it till the end of year, adding on a couple bolt ons along the way (new intake, headers, radiator, suspension upgrades, etc.) and then end of this year, rip it out and rebuild for power, maybe even get it ready for some turbo to reach 300whp.

Figured I'm lucky enough to have a healthy B18, might as well keep running it, and it is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yup, going B18c1. Running a compression test on Thursday, along with an interior overhaul. If it's healthy, I'll run it till the end of year, adding on a couple bolt ons along the way (new intake, headers, radiator, suspension upgrades, etc.) and then end of this year, rip it out and rebuild for power, maybe even get it ready for some turbo to reach 300whp.

Figured I'm lucky enough to have a healthy B18, might as well keep running it, and it is a lot of fun.
Awesome! Good for you man, best of luck : )

·
Registered
2 Posts

Figured I'm lucky enough to have a healthy B18, might as well keep running it, and it is a lot of fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts