Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when I should get new shocks because i dont got the money right now but i will in a couple weeks. Also should I get Koni Adjustable, KYB Adjustable, or Tokico Adjustable. Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yup get them. As for which ones, Im still in that boat. I think I have decided that I dont really need adjustables, well my pocket book helped me decide.

Im thinking the Koni reds for myself. If I wanted to spend the money on adj, I would go for the tokico's from what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You dont need to rush for the shocks but it is good to get them whenever you run into the money. I would get the Koni adjustables if you have the money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my son has KYB AGX adjustables on the front, reasonably priced here in Canada so I am sure you can find something in your area. Save your money, do a little research, and then make a choice which will accomodate both your pocketbook and driving style.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It depends on what springs you have and what your performance needs are. An agressive spring on cheaper shock is stupid cause you are still likely to blow your shocks so you may as well get good ones. If you are down around 2 inches I say you don't have much choice: Koni Yellow, Bilstien, Tokico adj., and KYB AGX's, although some would argue only the Koni's and Bilstiens are truly up to the task. The way I see it is that it is worth the money to buy good shocks that you know won't blow out on you, rather than trying to save maybe a hundred bucks or so and getting a cheaper set that you might end up replacing in a year or so.

·
Registered
455 Posts
if u get lowering springs...do u have to get new shocks as well? or it doesn;t matter..cuz all i have on mine is springs and i bought it like that
jus curious

·
Registered
322 Posts
No you don't have to get new shocks. You can use your old ones (stock, I presume). It's better to get aftermarket shocks for a better ride quality.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i have three years with my neuspeed racing springs and i still have my stock shocks, so i guess you don't really need them unless you want a better drive.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Yeah but the question is what condition are your shocks in?
My friend had the stock shocks on his 92 GTI for years, and it was lowered 2 inches the whole time. The only problem was that the shocks were completely blown out, they were still on there, they just didn't do anything. His CD's would skip everytime he hit a little tar repair strip on the highway. Moral of the story is that he could stand the rough ride, so he didn't need to change them. However I guess it got to him, as a couple of weeks ago he put in Bilstien's.
I would be very surprised if you told me your shocks were in good shape after three years with Neuspeed Race's on them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
well your probably right, i got used to the drive, and probably don't remember how it feels with good shocks, so i guess i'll look into purchasing some shocks too.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Driving on worn out shocks will kill handling performance. I find it interesting sometimes that people get springs talking about upgrading their handling but they leave them on the stock shocks which totally weren't made to handle that kind of spring rate. Koni Yellow and Bilstein are the best, many an autocrosser run with those along with their springs. KYB AGX are not up to the task of 300+ lb/in springs and will eventually wear out like the stock shocks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
In my experience, I have noticed that cars with lowering springs, and stock shocks tend to "bobble" when they go over bumps.

I installed Tokico Performas when I installed Eibach Sportlines on my 94 GSR. For the most part I am satisfied (wish it was a little lower)
My car is street driven, and I do not autocross (yet). I think adjustables would have been wasted money for me.

Phil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts