Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just picked up my new RSX Type-S tonight. Holy crap is that thing quick.(and im still babying it, not bringing it past 4000rpms. Havent even felt VTEC kick in yet) I definately like it more than my G2 teg. So much quieter, smoother, and alot more comfortable. The only thing is I cant see out the back of the car. It has a terrible blind spot. I have no pics as of yet, but you guys know what a black rsx looks like.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
MD has a break-in guide he posted awhile back. I'm too tired to look for it now...but you really should find it and follow it. There's a Honda guru who has a great/unusual break-in protocol.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You will absolutely love winding it out once you break it in. If yours is at all like mine, you will notice a few things:

1) You get a big jump in power at the 5900 RPM VTEC crossover.

2) The fuel cut-off is very conservative as it occurs before 8100 RPM.

3) Shifting from first at 8000 RPM to second drops the RPM to about 5200 RPMwhich is about 700 RPM below the power band. This has the effect of a noticeable lag after shifting until you get your RPMs up again.

4) The stock tires generate a lot of road noise.

5) There is a large blind spot when you turn your head to the right. I set my side view mirrors to look to the side more as I don't need to see the back of my car in the mirrors anyway.

All in all, I'm sure that you will love your new car.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
nice...when i first read the article in road and track that they were going to replace the teg, my heart was broken...but then i found out what they were replacing it with...i want!!!

me like rsx-s

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of Type S ownership. I've had mine for quite awhile now and I love it!! Have fun!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
geez 8000-5200 isnt too good, u drop outta vtec??? that cant be good, once i enter vtec i never drop out..when i slip the clutch i hit from 8400 and land right on 7000 leaving me deep in the power band, also i read max torque [email protected] dont slip i still dont drop outta vtec if i just shift normally it just goes from 8000 to 6000..back to topic enjoy your car, i wish i can have that smoothness the rsx has.. how much did u pay???

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
typeR430 on Sep/26/02 said:
geez 8000-5200 isnt too good, u drop outta vtec??? that cant be good, once i enter vtec i never drop out..when i slip the clutch i hit from 8400 and land right on 7000 leaving me deep in the power band, also i read max torque [email protected] dont slip i still dont drop outta vtec if i just shift normally it just goes from 8000 to 6000..back to topic enjoy your car, i wish i can have that smoothness the rsx has.. how much did u pay???
I don't know what transmission you are using, but here is the comparison between an RSX Type-S shifting each gear at 8000 RPM and a Integra Type R shifting at 8400 RPM:

RSX Type-SIntegra Type R
GEARMPH @ RPMMPH @ RPM
1 -> 241.32 @ 5218 41.22 @ 5475
2 -> 363.34 @ 5698 63.24 @ 5818
3 -> 488.94 @ 6049 91.32 @ 6378
4 -> 5117.63 @ 6424120.27 @ 6435
5 -> 6145.50 @ 6411N/A

There is no way that a factory geared Type R shifts from 1st at 8400 RPM to 2nd at 6000 RPM without lots of slip somewhere. You would have to be turning over 9200 RPM in first to hit second at 6000 RPM without slip.

All in all, you can see that the gearing is very similar between the two cars. If you put a good set of tires on both cars, 1/4 mile times will be similar, dependent on the drivers more than anything else. But the Type R is pure racing machine while the RSX Type-S has all of the luxury appointments. The Type R will whip the Type-S on a road course, no question, as it is purpose built for racing.

It all depends on what you want out of your car. BTW, I paid $24K out the door (incl. 6% tax + registration) in May for my Type-S with wheel locks and mud guards as the only add-ons.

·
Registered
608 Posts
EXACTLY wut 2001 ITR said...im not trying to argue with u at all but anyone can hit 6000 from 8400 without any slipping
i dont agree with ur specs. type S runs 15's stock, type R runs 14's stock, they arent too similar of course its all about the driver but i dont think they would be similar. this is just my thoughts about those cars a gsr i THINK would be more of a better match to the type S

$24g's aint bad at all mine started at 24 and had $2000 premium and then tax and licensing, costs a lot

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Word, im paying $415 a month for a 48 month lease. Not to mention an additional $200+ for insurance. And the reason why I got a Type S instead of a Type R is because of the smoothness of the S. Im sick of the roughness and the noise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i loved the smoothness of the rsx, but i couldn't fit in it. It feels like I fit better in my teg. I'm 6'2" and fealt really uncomfortable, but it drove like a dream, a lot better than my teg.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm jealous !! I want an RSX, but unfortunately they don't come in 4 dr. and a 2 door is no use since I have a 1 year old to drive around...
Enjoy your new ride !!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
2001ITR1303 on Sep/26/02 said:
what? I can easily hit 6500 rpm, when shifting into second.
I simply ran the numbers based on the Type R gear ratios found in the articles section.

1st gear = 3.230
2nd gear = 2.105

(8400 RPM / 3.230) x 2.105 = 5474 RPM

6500 RPM in second is the same speed as (6500 RPM / 2.105) x 3.230 = 9974 RPM in first gear.

Are the published ratios wrong?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm..im very comfortable in my car and im 6'0". I actually have more room than my G2.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ouch, 415.00 for a 48 month lease is awful. After 3 to four years, you should have paid for 40-60% of the vehicle (figure most cars depreciate 50% after 3 years).

My $23,000.00 2001 GSR's 3 year lease is $275.00 per month, nothing down (no fees or anything).

You = 48 X 415 = almost $20K. (leas end buy out =$?)
Me = 36 X 275 = $9,900(lease end buy out = 12K)

Note, the longer the lease, the lower the monthly payment (should be)

What's your lease end buy out? I bet you it's close to 10K. If that's the case, the dealer made close to 5 figures off you :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL...the dealer f*cked me but what am I gonna do. My buy out is $12k. I have no credit and im only 20 so the bank nailed me on interest because my payment was only supposed to be $350 a month. I dont care, because once I saw the car, I wasnt walking out of there without it.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Dude you leased? Dude, leasing is the worst thing you can do. You will usually end up leasing the car longer than you wanted, and by the time you finally get rid of the money pit you've paid for it. Trust me, I have lots of friends that have had it happen. Oh well, I guess I'm just bein a pessimist, I just hope you dont get raped like most people do with a lease. Personally I wouldnt lease ever because it would hurt to bad havin to give up the car after spending all that money and not getting anything in return...

Well, good luck anyway.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I hear you about the lease but its the only way I could afford the car. It would have hurt alot more to walk out of the dealership with nothing. Id rather pay the money and be happy. Money doesnt mean anything to me anyway. And no im not rich, I just believe in getting what you want, when you want it, without having to worry about anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts