Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little history:
I was just gifted a 1996 Integra GSR Sedan with a 5-speed manual and I'm super excited to start working on it. I am the second owner. It has almost 162,000 miles. It was sitting for probably somewhere around 10-15 years, only being driven a few times a year to keep it alive. When it was given to me it would not start. After getting a new ignition coil and battery it starts fine and runs well. I don't have a service log. I know it got new tires in 2016 and the timing belt has been replaced "in recent years". In all, I have to say the car seems to be in pretty good condition.

My plan:
Before I start driving it, my plan is to change the oil, coolant, and brake fluid. I am not sure whether I need to check/fill or do a full change on the transmission fluid, clutch fluid, and power steering fluid. I'm also going to check the brake rotors and pads. I've never worked on cars so I don't plan on inspecting the transmission or clutch.

Down the road, after I finish all the general maintenance, I plan on getting new wheels, tires, coil-overs, and a cat-back exhaust.

I might end up taking the valve cover and heat shield for the exhaust manifold off so I can paint them like in this ChrisFix video.

My questions:
  1. Do I need to do a full change on the fluids I listed or just make sure they are topped off?
  2. Is there any other maintenance I should do? I feel like I must be overlooking a lot.
  3. Is there anything I can do to recondition the seats? They have been sitting in the sun for so long they are cracking pretty bad.
  4. The sunroof won't move. It sounds like the motor is getting bogged down. Does anyone know how to fix this?
  5. The climate control doesn't turn on until the speed selector is in the "2" position. This is not a big deal at all, but if there's an easy fix I'd love to know about it.
  6. The brake rotors are fairly rusted. My dad told me to either wear off the rust through driving/braking over time or, if that fails, get the rotors professionally turned. Additionally, I could get new rotors and pads. What do you guys think I should do?
  7. Do you have any tips on passing SMOG(California) after it's been sitting for a few years?
  8. The headlights are relatively dim. Is this something that can be fixed with just new bulbs?
  9. I'm thinking of running 16x8 wheels. If any of you are running this I would love to know what offset and tire size you have and what you think of the fit. Ideally, I would like to avoid needing to roll the fenders.
  10. What coil-overs do most Integra owners go with?
  11. What exhaust systems are you guys using and how does it sound? I'm still doing my research, but I think I want something that is relatively quiet except at WOT where I want it deep and loud.
Thank you guys so much for any advice at all and please don't be afraid to tell me what I've got wrong! I've been reading the forums like crazy the past few days and I can't wait to start this journey!

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
First off, congrats on the vehicle. Here is some insight:

1. Do I need to do a full change on the fluids I listed or just make sure they are topped off?
    1. If the vehicle has been sitting for as long as it has, change them
  2. Is there any other maintenance I should do? I feel like I must be overlooking a lot.
    1. The owner's manual would be a start. Otherwise, perform a search within the forum in the top search box
  3. Is there anything I can do to recondition the seats? They have been sitting in the sun for so long they are cracking pretty bad.
    1. Without going to a professional, there's not a lot you can do to remove them completely. However, start with some leather cleaner and conditioner.
  4. The sunroof won't move. It sounds like the motor is getting bogged down. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    1. Sunroof might be seized. I would have someone push up on the sunroof from the inside while operating the switch. Otherwise, remove the headliner so that you can remove the sunroof assembly and gain access to the sunroof track to be lubed
  5. The climate control doesn't turn on until the speed selector is in the "2" position. This is not a big deal at all, but if there's an easy fix I'd love to know about it.
    1. More than likely, the blower motor resistor needs replaced
  6. The brake rotors are fairly rusted. My dad told me to either wear off the rust through driving/braking over time or, if that fails, get the rotors professionally turned. Additionally, I could get new rotors and pads. What do you guys think I should do?
    1. Just replace them. They're cheap enough to replace rather than having them turned down.
  7. Do you have any tips on passing SMOG(California) after it's been sitting for a few years?
    1. I would go through the inspection process so that you can see what may need replaced and/or fixed. You may surprise yourself and the vehicle passes.
  8. The headlights are relatively dim. Is this something that can be fixed with just new bulbs?
    1. Is the dimming caused by faded or oxidized headlamp lenses? If so, they'll need buffed. But wouldn't hurt to replace the bulbs either.
  9. I'm thinking of running 16x8 wheels. If any of you are running this I would love to know what offset and tire size you have and what you think of the fit. Ideally, I would like to avoid needing to roll the fenders.
    1. A Google Image search will be your friend here
  10. What coil-overs do most Integra owners go with?
    1. Depends on what you want to do with the vehicle. Track? Drag? Street? Slammed? Again, I'd recommend doing a search above
  11. What exhaust systems are you guys using and how does it sound? I'm still doing my research, but I think I want something that is relatively quiet except at WOT where I want it deep and loud.
    1. You're not going to "deep" with these engines, and you can't really have loud only at WOT. Youtube searching will be your friend here for brand names vs. their sound output.
All in all, most, if not all questions can be answered by searching. Yes, it'll take some time. However, Integras have been around for awhile, along with this site. I can assure you that just about every question that can be asked, has been, and answered numerous times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great deal on an awesome vehicle. You'll fall in love.
jjkz24 answered all your questions but I'd like to give you a couple pieces of advice. First,Since your integra has been minimally maintained and sitting, I'd take it to someone you trust and get a new timing belt/tensioner installed. It may be pristine, or it could be a dry-rotted and cracked time bomb. This way, you won't have to worry about it for a few years. Second, saying that you're a novice mechanically, go pick up a Haynes manual. That should help you get to know your car a lot better.
Enjoy it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Integras are becoming increasingly rare especially if its a clean gsr . My advice is research then make a budget so you wont get overwhelmed with a crazy project on your hands. Good luck and enjoy your ride bro

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
remove that rubber moulding that is on the rear wheel fender. It is the start of the worst thing to hit a honda RUST.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts