Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some tein h-tech springs that im going to put on my car. the drop is 1.7" in the front and the rear is 1".i do alot of driving and some of my roads are pretty bumpy so if i leave my stock shocks on i will probably blow them.. since i havent put my springs on yet i was thinking about just doing the shocks with them because i dont want to pay for an allingement twice.
however with my tein's, the rear drop is barely anything and there is no way i will blow the stock rear shocks. so i was just thinking about only replacing the front shocks but how will this change my ride? is this a good idea or bad idea to only change the front shocks when i put my springs on?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
well, I have read that they can work in junction with stockies.. however, that's quite a drop... 1,7''.. fo rmy car it's .8/.7.. and says i can still retain stockies.. but 1,7'' is a lot.. and well 1.. is hard to call.. it's a lot better to get 'em at the same time.. not so that you have a uniform setup.. but the wear account will be even among all of 'em..

~P2P

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats true but i think replacing the back shocks is one of the worst jobs to do (or so ive heard)...so its not so much the money factor thats stopping me, its more i dont know how or want to take the rear shocks out.

has anybody else only changed the front shocks and how does the ride differ

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Do yourself a favor and wait till you have some good struts to use with your new springs, trust me ,you do not want to experience driving on blown struts with increased springrates and nevermind how much your car will be dropped its the springrate thats ultimately gonna kill your stock struts.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
devrules81 on Jan/31/06 said:
Changing them is not that hard. You just need a spring compressor.
i ended up needed much more than a spring compressor. Sawzall, sledgehammer, torch, new bushings and bolts, and about 4 hours per side

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Integra15lb on Jan/31/06 said:
Do yourself a favor and wait till you have some good struts to use with your new springs, trust me ,you do not want to experience driving on blown struts with increased springrates and nevermind how much your car will be dropped its the springrate thats ultimately gonna kill your stock struts.
can you explain how its more about the springrates that will kill my shocks? so stiffer spring rates will hurt them more and how stiff is really bad for them..........

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
if your shocks aren't complementarily valved for a given springrate, shocks go poo-poo

~P2P

·
Registered
992 Posts
matmattmatthew on Jan/31/06 said:
Quote: devrules81 on Jan/31/06Changing them is not that hard. You just need a spring compressor.

i ended up needed much more than a spring compressor. Sawzall, sledgehammer, torch, new bushings and bolts, and about 4 hours per side
Dang, well from my experience there was no trouble in taking out anything. All 4 sides were installed w/ new brakes in 6 hours. I guess it just depends on your car.

·
Registered
634 Posts
fuzzyclam on Jan/30/06 said:
because i dont want to pay for an allingement twice.
if you get your alignment done at like an NTB, you pay for a year of alignments, meaning you can take it in there and get it aligned an unlimited number of times within a year.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
fuzzyclam on Jan/31/06 said:
Quote: Integra15lb on Jan/31/06Do yourself a favor and wait till you have some good struts to use with your new springs, trust me ,you do not want to experience driving on blown struts with increased springrates and nevermind how much your car will be dropped its the springrate thats ultimately gonna kill your stock struts.

can you explain how its more about the springrates that will kill my shocks? so stiffer spring rates will hurt them more and how stiff is really bad for them..........
If you read the articles about suspension then not only would you know why it is not a good idea to use aftermarket springs on stock struts but we wouldnt even be replying in this thread.
Look im gonna be completely honest with anyone interested in tunning suspension reading this.
IT IS NOT CHEAP TO FOOL AROUND WITH YOUR CARS SUSPENSIoN if you do mess with it and go cheap then I guess only you are accountable for your own life ,but what about innocent bystanders?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Integra15lb on Jan/31/06 said:
If you read the articles about suspension then not only would you know why it is not a good idea to use aftermarket springs on stock struts but we wouldnt even be replying in this thread.
Look im gonna be completely honest with anyone interested in tunning suspension reading this.
IT IS NOT CHEAP TO FOOL AROUND WITH YOUR CARS SUSPENSIoN if you do mess with it and go cheap then I guess only you are accountable for your own life ,but what about innocent bystanders?
i think you should read the title of my post better
i read the articles about suspension and i know that you need to change shocks when you lower the car. i am changing the front shocks and im pretty sure my rear shocks can take the .9" drop....i dont think im going to kill any bystanders by not changing my rear shocks on a .9" drop.....and im pretty sure i wanted opionons on how my car would ride and handle

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
he did answer your question.. while I have read some instances where ppl were able to to go off the ones from the O.E.M with aftermarket springs.. it is much safer (or less riskier) to switch to ones (damping rate adjustability is popular, a plus if it's for both-way) that can handle or outhandle the modified spring rates..

your car would handle like crap if they were to blow.. you'll have an increase chance to break-loose evenly if you hit like a bump or debris or some crap.. while breaking-loose isn't all too bad to counter, you never know if you'll slide across wet traction, or if it'll break loose at a turn going 15-20MPH.. generally to speak, if your shocks are not properly matched to the spring rates in any specific situation, you enhance the probability to reduce or even lose traction and possibly control.. your shocks are meant to complement the springs.. your car will be bouncy, like a wet bouncy ball, in the rear if they blow - could be dangerous

double-wish

so what happens if your springs have a frequency that exceeds the shock's valving? the shock won't exactly be able to accept it altogether, whether if it's excessive or not enough damping (both-way), which will generally ''blow'' or ''be shot'' as some ppl refer to it as.. parts within the structure will fail or break, you may spring a leak, whatever.. your car will just be riding on springs.. if springs were to break or ''snap'' or ''cut-off'' then you have nothing to help absorb with when you hit something or have a change in camber.. This, apart from the motor and other sprung weight, is like one of the most important parts of the car that you need if you want your car to function. Need power, got it; how [are] you going to get it to the road? through your wheels and suspension, or unsprung weight..

~P2P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.