Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a jun p72 ecu chip for $20.50 off ebay.ecu chip

vtec engagement at 4400 and no redline. does it sound fishy to you guys or is it legit? if its a fluke, i'm only out $20.50 so no biggie. but i'm just curious.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, vtec engages at 4500 and secondary runners open at 5700 (or somewhere around there). read up on your vtec.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Well all you have to do is buy one of the chips, then you can use a simple machine to copy it over to another one. When shops "reprogram your ECU", they use a blank chip that only costs maybe $2, copy the program over, then charge you like $200.

I haven't programmed chips myself, but I believe its something like the same kind of tool that people who make BIOS chips for motherboards or region-free chips for DVD players...

Being in the field that MorningZ is in, he could possibly elaborate (I don't think he does bios chips etc but he's always knowledgable), or maybe swiftllamagone, or another smart computer guy here on TI.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
From the Ebay ad:
PART# 37820-P72-A01

That's the part number for a stock GS-R ECU. Nobody else caught that?

Having a GS-R, you should have known better

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i saw it when it had like 3 1/2 minutes left and it was an impulse buy. oh well. $20. no biggie.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
$20 isn't bad even if it for a stock gsr ecu. was it a obd1 or 2? if it's an obd1 then you can have it chipped. stock ecu's are like $200+.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
I think they put the model number to show what it replaces. I bet it really does have a program on there. I'd put it in. Other people that bought from him seemed to like the product!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The only thing they may have done to it is removed revlimiter. VTEC is still in the stock location, funny thing is I doubt the seller even knew that and thought a 4400 RPM VTEC point is some selling point.

I doubt a scammer like that would have the knowledge to actually program specific fuel and ignition timing maps onto it. I can't understand why anyone would want to completely remove the revlimiter but it sells phony chips I guess.

BTW, a JUN chip would have it's own part number. It would not have an OEM Honda part number printed on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts