Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has swapped his motor and is now running a B18C5 motor in his Integra. He really wants to up the power, but also stay with a streetable car as he drives it everyday.

He has a couple of goals that he wants to achieve. First, he wants to obtain 13s at the dragstrip. Second, he would like a car that is fast on the street.

I offered that he could go all-motor, but he doesn't really like that idea for some reason (don't ask me why). I then got him thinking about a JRSC. I was wondering if anyone had any input on how this would work and if it would work well to achieve the set goals? Any valuable input and information would be helpful. I tried searching for some testimonials of the JRSC on a Type-R, but I wasn't able to find any.

Also, I don't want to hear about the compression of the engine and how it may be a problem, because I know that good tuning can make the car very reliable. I also don't really want the option of turbo mentioned because my brother doesn't want to go turbo. He wants to be "different" and if being able to achieve his goals with a JRSC, then it will be fine for him.

Depending on how the money is flowing in, we have two setup options:

Setup A:
JRSC
Skunk2 cam gears
Kamikaze header
Carsound cat
Apexi N1 exhaust
AEM short ram intake
Hondata stage 2B

Setup B:
JRSC
Skunk2 cam gears
Hytech full custom exhaust system
AEM short ram intake
Hondata stage 2B

·
Registered
594 Posts
If your brother doesn't want to NA or turbo and you had to talk him into concidering JRSC, then what did he have in his mind for upping the power of his C5?

Anyways ... the Kamikazee header has a 2.5" collector and the N1 is 2.36" so you would be chocking your engine.
Change that to a 2.5" catback and you got a pretty good setup, not far if any from the Hytech, but if you got the cash then go for the Hytech.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's not a bad setup either way I'm also in the same field as your brother I have a LS/VTEC setup with a pretty high compression 10:2:1 but everything is alot stronger than the oem parts. I'm having a Type-R unit put on right now as we speak I run an automatic with the setup because I want to drag race it. That is also being fully built by Level Ten right now. I'd would go with the cheaper setup just make sure everything lines up 2.5" collector on header 2.5" cat and at least 2.5" catback. Let me know how this works out for you.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MrNiceGuy: I didn't really talk my brother into it, sorry. He had plans of doing bolt-on work, but then he was told about the JRSC. After he talked with me about it, he doesn't seem to want to go with bolt-ons, or all-motor anymore.

And we are leaning more towards setup B, but we just have to have the money. And that's true about the N1 being 2.36", I never thought of that, thanks for the reminder. We'll definately have to step it up to 2.5" all the way.

When tuning, we also plan on using larger injectors, such as RC 310s.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the JRSC on a Type R?

And, do you think this setup is able to achieve our goals of a daily driver with mid-low 13 second timeslips?

·
Registered
527 Posts

happy boosting! =)

setup 2 if you have the money!

setup 1 is cool.
but you'll want to hear the supercharger whine, you probably won't hear it over the n1 exhaust.. it's very loud..

hytech is twin loop, see better gains + you'll hear the sc working =)

·
Registered
89 Posts
LOL, I know that. I have a stepper alternator pulley on right now. I have a CRV pulley I'm thinking of putting on. That is supposed to bump it up to around 11-13 psi. I guess if I also got a new nose pulley it could get up to that boost range, but my question is how do you control the heat from the blower spinning so fast?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
That sounds really realistic, however, he should be aware that the JRSC has its limitations. Has he thought it well way past the power that he's going to be makin gon the JRSC setup? This is not going to eventually turn into a hardcore project now is it?

Quite honstly, if you were going to boost that high (well over 12psi w/o a real IC) on a JRSC, you would have been better with a Turbo. Yes I know you didn't want to hear that, but its just pointless. Unless money is no object for being different. Then by all means, go for it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
sak on Feb/17/04 said:
That sounds really realistic, however, he should be aware that the JRSC has its limitations. Has he thought it well way past the power that he's going to be makin gon the JRSC setup? This is not going to eventually turn into a hardcore project now is it?

Quite honstly, if you were going to boost that high (well over 12psi w/o a real IC) on a JRSC, you would have been better with a Turbo. Yes I know you didn't want to hear that, but its just pointless. Unless money is no object for being different. Then by all means, go for it.
why wouldnt it be a real intercooler?
Im just wondering what your reason is behind thinking the jrsc isn't capable of making big power. im not arguing at all, i just want to see some reasoning.
I personally think it would cost just about in the same price bracket as it would with a turbo unit.
Im not a big fan of superchargers myself.
And believe me, i do agree with you on the turbo comment.. I don't know how much power he's looking to make, but myself, i'd go turbo all day.. But for this guy, he wants to be different and i respect that.

But i do think a JRSC can make more than enough power he needs to drive on the street at least.

I dont know about a JRSC all out full race setup.. i don't know if our little 4-bangers can put out that much power with a supercharger..

but for some really quick ET's and a nice wide powerband.. JRSC on a type is plenty enough IMO..

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Water injection is not the same as an IC. That was for the guys who were reffering to water injection.

And that setup of the dyno you posted is not really something he wants, as its just too much on a drag queen instead of a street car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts