Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think a JG Edelbrock Victor X Intake Manifold on a 2000 Type R? I'm trying to convince my brother an intake manifold is gonna get him a lot of high-range power and he's shaking his head. What would it do to an ITR w/ CAI, 2.5" header, catback...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I don't think it will do anything other than kill his midrange power. The stock Type R intake manifold is good as it is, and on stock cams I can't see an IM like the Victor X doing anything good. It's just too short and wide so it gains flow capacity at the sacrifice of flow quality and speed. Stock cams aren't restricted by the flow capacity of the ITR intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Sep/14/02 said:
if it was a gsr, then it's another matter...
can you explain this a lil more, MD or any one who knows ( not thinks). thanks

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
thanks alot for the info

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
jameelrose on Oct/09/05 said:
Quote: MichaelDelaney on Sep/14/02
if it was a gsr, then it's another matter...

can you explain this a lil more, MD or any one who knows ( not thinks). thanks

Sure. You have to read my reply back then in the context of the info that we had available. I'll try to update the info a bit more with what we know in trying to explain that comment.

back in Sept. 2002 when my reply above was written, we only had the Sk2 and JG IM's as the "known popular" aftermaket NA IM choices.

Sk2 didn't have any Pro Series remember 3 years ago remember.

if you were looking to shift the powerband higher, those were what you had to work with on an NA motor without being too big like the FI dedicated ones (eg. STR, Venom,Golden Eagle IM) that completely gutted the WOT midrange and part throttle performance on an NA.

Nowadays, you have at least 5-6 NA IM's to choose from.

Plus, you have objective flowbench data to compare them with. Back then, we didn't.

However, we did know that the JG would move the powerband up. How much? You could only find out by dynoing and fuel tuning. Very few people were few tuning properly with new IM's on those upgrades back then and you still see that today.

So the knowledge at that time in Sept 2002 was:

Is the stock ITR single stage IM as good as the JG Victor X ?

We know the original stock ITR IM & Sk2 IM dimensions from Jacksont001's IM Comparison thread in the Common Topics here to compare. It'd be nice to summarize the various dimensions of all the IM's collected in that thread on 1 table btw.

The ITR plenum was 1.18L compared to the Sk2's GSR IM of 2.44L (page 4-5 of Jacksont001's thread). So the Sk2 IM is a bit bigger. Clearly, the Sk2 isn't a mere clone of the ITR IM.

on page 2 of that thread, you can see by the photo that the JG is noticeably bigger than the Sk2.

Notice also that the JG has visibly shorter runners that aren't tapered like the SK2's longer runners.

From this IM Flowbench Common Topic thread, we have their flowbenches done last year (again remember, we didn't have this in Sept 2002).

The Sk2 is in red and the JG in green. Surprisingly, the Sk2 outflows the VictorX despite being smaller in plenum size & longer runners, from 0.35 in. (8.9 mm) of cam lift and up.

So it confirmed my suspicions that even though the ITR IM is smaller, the dimensions are right for NA motors and choosing an even larger JG IM may not benefit in the higher rpms as much. In other words, I was saying back then , an upgrade from a single stage, high powerband stock ITR IM to a singles stage , high powerband JG VictorX may not yield a noticeable improvement in flow and therefore power above 6000 rpm. The ITR IM already is geared for upper rpms. The problem may be that the short stubby untapered big diameter runners of the VictorX would gut the midrange more than the ITR IM and would need more fuel tuning to bring that midrange back up.

The GSR, on the other hand, has a 2 stage IM that is geared for the midrange and is not as optimised for the upper powerband above 6000 rpms. So a switch to the upper powerband-oriented JG, from the way I was thinking back then with the info that I had, would be more noticeable than if you slapped one on an ITR.

I've always thought that VictorX (even back then) was more of a turbo manifold than an NA manifold. You may get away with it in a 2L NA B18C but in a 1.8L NA B18C, it was going to partially adversely affect the WOT midrange and part throttle and need extensive fuel tuning.

The nontapered runner design really hurts it for part throttle and WOT mid rpm .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts