Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking into the jg edelbrock header on a gsr. the dyno chart on their website shows a temendous power gain over the dc sports design. but it is weird because usually the 4-1 design gets more power but in jg edelbrock's the design is a 4-2-1 design. does anyone have any expeirience with this header and do you think i should get it.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It's not a bad header. I don't think it's going to give you that much of a power increase especially with the stock exhaust but it's designed well for being a standard mass market 4-2-1. If you don't want to step up to the 2.5" headers it's about as good of a choice as you can get.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
TI header design tech if you have not seen it yet....

From a design standpoint, I'd be interested in comparing the JG diameters (if they are indeed stepped) to the Japanese and custom US headers. I suspect the diameters are a little bigger at the secondaries for more top end. From a primaries pairing and length point of view, the JG is not longer than other headers that stop at the stock location (i.e. not longer for more midrange torque and acceleration/ transienting) and is non-sequentially paired (i.e. exhaust pulses are 180 degrees apart at the secondaries and there's no boost between cylinders to get more amplified pulse energy and acceleration ). The collector is not the larger 2.5 in. OD type we see in the Japanese or custom headers and so we don't expect huge top end gains compared to the custom header makers (which make 15-20 whp gains in the upper rpm not 9-10 whp like you see here).

Jeff Schaeffer at Importbuilders.com, who sells these, has dyno'd a ported JG Pro Flo with their race-only testpipe on the same teg compared to a JDM ITR 4-1 with a cat. He reported a 16 hp gain midrange ( as can be expected due to the traditional tri-Y layout versus classic 4-1 layout) and a 6 hp gain up top over the JDM ITR .

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
What kinda cat was on there?

one thing that gets me:

The JDM 4-1 has long-ass primaries. From my knowledge of physics, that speeds up exhaust flow velocity considerably. That is why the hybrid headers have these long primaries, too. But what keeps the JDM 4-1 from making more mid-range power due to its long primaries? I figure the energy spread. Everything is dumped into one collector (kinda like making cars crash on the interstate rather than merging on an onramp). Also, there doesn't seem to be any other anti-reversion qualities in effect. Did I miss anything that keeps the 4-1 design from making more power in the midrange?

I'm kicking a dead horse, but maybe some of the new guys will pick up on this.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
it's the layout...4 into 1...and big diameters that move the peak torque up. There is no pairing where the cylinder pairs dump into a secondary tube and so there is no "energy" boost. They all "crash" into the collector according to the ignition firing order. Remember the length is the overall length we are interested in. The JDM ITR ends at the stock location.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so do you think i should make the investment into this header or get another one. is it worth it, do you think i could find a different header for roughly the same price with better power gains?

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you dont have 1300 to spend on a hytech...i think this would make a good choice, that way you wont have to go to 2.5 in if you didnt want to since the jg has a 2 in collector

·
Registered
428 Posts
SMSP isnt that much, $950 for a B18C1.
you get what you pay for, when i see JG edelbrock, i think mustang, barf!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
when that header first came out it was supposed to be priced in the $500-600 US range to compete head to head with the Honda JDM Spec 98R 4-1.

The others in that price range that would probably out do it would be the Type one at around $600-700 and the SMSP 1 piece at $750 US.

If it has jumped in price to $800 US, then it has priced itself out of the market. Because if you are going to spend that much, then why not pay the extra 100-150 and get a full hybrid header like the SMSP extra long 2 piece or a Toda or Spoon header?

I would seriously compare the Type one against this header but remember you will need a 2.5 in. cat and at minimum a 2 3/8 in. (2.5 in. being optimal) exhaust.

the bargain bang for the buck header is still the DC JDM 4-1.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Type one hybrid 4-2-1, stock location length, nonsequential primaries pairing, 2.5 in. collector, stainless steel

this header ran about the same as the JDM 4-1 in the Great Header test on the same ITR on the same day.

Type one (186 peak whp/137 lb ft. peak torque) versus Stock (176 whp/126 lb ft)

JDM ITR (peak 185 whp/ 137 lb ft. peak torque)

SMSP 1 piece GSR header, hybrid 4-2-1, extra long, sequential pairing, 2.5 in. collector, 16 gauge mild steel with Jet Hot coating

this header (red) stomped a ported JDM 4-1 (blue) head to head on the same teg , on the same day.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well thanks for your input i will let you know what my decision comes to be. the price of the header supposively most places i look is 660 or thereabouts but i found it for 450 on www.jdmhondaparts.com

·
Registered
550 Posts
cleggboy r u sure it was www.jdmhondaparts.com where u found it for that price, because I've been looking for those but don't see them on that site. Can u let me know.
Jesse

1 - 20 of 23 Posts