Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was talking with one of my buddies this weekend, i was telling him about ccshamrock2004's new 2002 type r. I told him he got it imported from Japan and that he got it converted to pass U.S. regulations. He told me that it was impossible because Japanese cars use leaded gasoline. Is there any truth in what he said? I think it might be right for some older cars but im sure all the newer ones use unleaded.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Yeah, but let's answer his question because talking about him just makes me crack up (laughing) and then I can't read the screen because I have tears in my eyes.

So back to the question. Lead or unleaded in japan? I'm pretty sure it's the same as here in the states; unleaded.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I don't think so, I have herd of people actually importing and legalizing JDM cars.

Unless of cource one of the modifications they have to do is convert it to accept unleaded gas? hehe

Either way, its not impossible to import a jdm car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
well if the jdm engines use leaded gasoline, how can the usdm buyers use the jdm engines without problems with our 93 octane unleaded?? just something to think about...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
ccshamrock2004 is a dirty liar

if you missed out on his thread then check This out to see all the details of him being lame (go to the last 2 pages to see all the juicy info!)

i wish a admin would remove the stuff he has in his sig its so lame he kept it there knowing he already got busted!

·
Registered
136 Posts
leaded gas destroys catalitic converters, this is why they banned it along time ago ... in japan they have VERY strict emmisions... whoever told you that in japan they use leaded gas is an idiot... most of those camaro IROC guys think that leaded fuel is the only way to get 100+ octane rating cause thats how they used to do it in the 60's - 70's .... fuels today can have a very high antiknock without using lead... this is beause of new antiknock additives that they can add to fuel (not lead)...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Japan uses UNLEADED gasoline. The octane is mush higher there than it is here..106-108 octane. ECU's from Japan can be ran in USDM cars, it will not hurt them or the Jap-spec motor. If you want to see what a higher octane will do for you performance wise, run 92 or 93 octane gasoline and go buy the additive which contains "NITRO-METHANE" by NOS. It comes in a black bottle. It will increase octane by 7 or 8 points.

Its just the simple fact the higher octane fuel burns cleaner than lower octane. Think about it, the population in Japan makes California and New York look pitiful and spread out.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Sanders on Aug/21/02 said:
Its just the simple fact the higher octane fuel burns cleaner than lower octane.
Can I ask where you got this "simple fact" from? Or should I rather be asking what an octane rating means?

on the subject, Japan uses the same gas we do, only they have higher octane available allowing for engines with higher compression. That's why our JDM engine equivilents usually are a couple tenths higher on the compression scale.

Of course don't let me stop you from buying "JDM gas" because if it has the words JDM on it that means it will automatically make you faster right?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
"Of course don't let me stop you from buying 'JDM gas' because if it has the words JDM on it that means it will automatically make you faster right"

i think i saw some up for auction on ebay!!

but yea, leaded gasoline went out in the 50's...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sanders, BTW, that octane booster from NOS has been tested by the 76 gas company, it only raised the octane from about 92.3 to 92.7, so much for the 7 or 8 points...most octane boosters don't even help out, according to that test

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
typeracer on Aug/21/02 said:
Sanders, BTW, that octane booster from NOS has been tested by the 76 gas company, it only raised the octane from about 92.3 to 92.7, so much for the 7 or 8 points...most octane boosters don't even help out, according to that test
Finally, an answer to my question about octane boosters......thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
typeracer: NOS octane booster cannot raise the octane level to 100+ ... that would be impossible, you can only have 100% octane gas (100 octane). you cannot have more than 100% of something. However, NOS probably adds a anti-knock additive. So when 76 gas company says that "NOS only raises the octane level by .4%" they are correct, however, it could still be raising the anti-knock level so that detonation will not occur.. A very simple test to see if the stuff works would be to do the following :

1. run your car untill it is upto operating temp.
2. grab a timming light and advance the ignition untill you hear slight knocking then mark the point it's at with a marker.
3. put your timming back to stock and add the NOS additive.
4. Drive around for a little to let all the non modified fuel in the pipes to burn off and to let the additive mix with your fuel.
5. get out the timming light and start to advance the timming untill you hear knocking and then mark the spot on your distributor with a marker.

If you are able to advance your timming further with the additive, then your octane is being boosted...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The engine will not knock at idle, I don't see how that test is supposed to work. At least I've never had it happen in my experience and I accidentally bumped my distributor to full mechanical advance one time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts